Lifestyle, Music

Curing fall feels and friend troubles | Liv Listens

I received a message from a friend the other day: “Hi Liv. I’m loving the fall weather, but I’ve been feeling kinda lonely. Things have been weird with one of my friends, and it’s been hard to enjoy the season when we’re not really talking. Do you have any songs that could help me get into a cozy fall mood, even with all that’s going on?”

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

Fighting with a friend might be one of the worst feelings. Even if it’s not a full-blown argument and things are just a little off, it doesn’t negate the fact that there are people in our lives that we feel comfortable confiding in. Being unable to talk to them can feel isolating.

I usually turn to sad music when I feel alone, but I will resist the urge to only recommend sad songs for this occasion — warm and cozy songs, artists and albums can do the trick, too.  

When I want to get into a fall mood, the first artist I turn to is Adele. The content of much of her music may be melancholy, but her lyrics only add to her rich, velvety voice. Her most recent album, “30,” has some great fall songs. 

“Easy On Me,” is a phenomenal selection. Every time I hear Adele’s voice during the bridge — “I had good intentions / And the highest hopes / But I know right now / It probably doesn’t even show,” — I get chills. 

I’m immune to getting sick of an Adele song, but if you feel the radio overplayed “Easy On Me”, then “I Drink Wine” is another great choice from that album. The combination of the piano and Adele’s voice creates a jazzy atmosphere, and by the time the drums enter in the first chorus, you’ll be hooked. This song is my go-to for late-night fall studying. 

Sabrina Claudio’s “Unravel Me,” and Brent Faiyaz’s “ALL MINE,” are my fall R&B favorites. I also frequently walk home on fall evenings listening to SZA’s album, “Ctrl (Deluxe).” 

Del Water Gap’s “Coping on Unemployment” is another recent favorite I can’t seem to get out of my head. The beat is perfect for walking down Commonwealth Avenue under the fall-colors. 

Harry Styles’ more mellow songs showcase his warm, comforting voice. The song “Matilda” from his most recent album, “Harry’s House,” takes its name from “Matilda” by Roald Dahl. The song parallels the book, where Matilda’s family treats her poorly. That being said, the lyrics in “Matilda” apply to friendship troubles as well: “You can see the world, following the seasons / Anywhere you go, you don’t need a reason / ‘Cause they never showed you love / You don’t have to be sorry for doing it on your own.” 

Feeling lonely is not something to be ashamed of. It can feel that way at school, where everyone seems to have it all together — but I promise they don’t. “Matilda” feels like a warm hug and serves as a great reminder that we all walk through some parts of life alone, and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

I couldn’t write about fall songs with a clear conscience if I didn’t talk about “Red (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift. “Red” itself was an iconic album, but the rerecording blows it out of the water. My favorite Taylor Swift songs are the ones that are not only exceptional lyrically but also feature great vocal performances. The majority of those songs show up on “Red (Taylor’s Version),” including “Better Man (Taylor’s Version) [From The Vault]” and “State of Grace (Taylor’s Version),” to name a few.  

Swift re-released the album in the fall of 2021, and as far as I’m concerned, its new album cover picturing Swift in a red beret and trench coat and lyrics like “Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place” from “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” solidified its status as the definitive fall album.

For a cozy song from “Red (Taylor’s Version),” I recommend “Begin Again (Taylor’s Version).” “Come Back…Be Here (Taylor’s Version)” and “Nothing New (Taylor’s Version) [From the Vault]” are less uplifting, but also have a very cozy feel to them. 

I have a couple miscellaneous tracks, too. There are some songs from artists that I don’t listen to regularly but that I add to my fall playlists every year: “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer, “There She Goes” by The La’s, “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls, “Woodland” by The Paper Kites and The Staves’ live cover of “Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens. Add all those songs to a playlist with a few tracks from “Red (Taylor’s Version)” and you’ve got my ideal cozy fall mixtape. 

I’ll be back with more music next week. Until then, don’t forget, I’m always here to listen.