Field Hockey, Sports

Field hockey falls to crosstown rival Northeastern in 4-2 loss

The Boston University field hockey team came up short against Northeastern University with a 4-2 loss at New Balance Field.

Boston University senior midfielder Payton Anderson (2) plays against American University on October 28, 2023 in her junior season. The Terriers fell 4-2 to Northeastern on Sunday. MAGDALENA LAZOWSKI/DFP FILE

The Terriers (5-7, 2-2 Patriot League) had a slow start against the Huskies (8-6) and registered no shots on goal in the first quarter. Failing to build offensive momentum, the Terriers were pinned in their defensive zone for most of the first.

Head coach Sally Starr attributes the Terriers’ first quarter shortcomings to inconsistent gameplay throughout the season and holding the players to a winning attitude.

“We have the opportunity to be a really good team. We’ve shown that at times this season, and we just got to establish that standard and keep that standard,” Starr said. “In competition day practices, there’s a swag, there’s a cockiness … We’ve got to bring that same swag and that same energy to our real games.”

The Terriers rallied their defense to hold Northeastern at three shots on goal in a scoreless first period, but the winning mentality was absent from their offense. 

Fighting for possession, Northeastern pressed hard and beat BU’s defense about 20 minutes in with a reverse stick goal from Northeastern junior forward Emilia Adragna.

The Huskies drew a penalty corner late in the second, and Northeastern senior midfielder Lara Taylor doubled the lead on a redirection in the 25th minute. 

The Terriers, who haven’t scored first in a game since Sept. 28, were trailing by two at halftime and began falling back into playing catchup once again.

“We’ve got to start on the very first minute of the game of the first quarter, and just build on that,” Starr said.

The third period was similarly bleak, with Northeastern’s persistent pressure leaving the Terriers struggling to clear the ball or gain any ground. Graduate student goalkeeper Kate Thomason made an aggressive save out of the crease with six minutes left in the third to try to give some life to her team.

Nearly forty minutes in, Adragna got her second of the game off of a reverse stick. Down by three going into the fourth, the Terriers had their work cut out for them.

The Terriers capitalized on a Northeastern green card minutes later. Junior forward Caroline O’Brien redirected the ball past Northeastern senior goalkeeper Kristi Merashoff to bring the Terriers within two.

The Terriers scored a second goal in the fourth during a penalty shot by senior midfielder Payton Anderson, who leads the team in points with 17. However, the Terriers couldn’t complete the comeback, and an empty net goal by Taylor sealed the deal for a BU loss. 

The Terriers are now 27-29 overall against the Huskies. BU’s next game is set for Oct. 18 against Colgate University for a Patriot League competition at New Balance Field.

“We have a really big game Friday night,” Starr said. “I think that if we can win that game, I feel comfortable about our chances to make the conference tournament, and so we’ve got to take the lessons from the last two games.”