Kennedy backs educational funding

An act that would more than double public funding for educational television programming will come before Congress in the upcoming budget vote, Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) said last week.

Kennedy and Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) are co-sponsors of the “Ready to Learn, Ready to Teach Act of 2001,” which, if approved, will appropriate $50 million for Ready to Learn television programs and $45 million for teacher training.

The Ready to Learn program, created by Congress in 1992, funds at least six and a half hours of “non-violent educational programming” each day, including PBS shows such as “Arthur and Friends”, “Reading Rainbow” and “Sesame Street.”

“As a result of Ready to Learn television programming, millions of children and families have access to high-quality television produced by public television stations,” Kennedy said in a written statement.

“Through Ready to Learn television programming, children can obtain substantial educational benefits that turn TV time into learning time.”

According to Kennedy, the program was created in response to testimony given by Dr. Ernest Boyer, who said children are entering school without the skills necessary for learning. This weakens their long-term achievement, he said.

In addition to the television programs, Ready to Learn provides all participating PBS stations with 200 books each month to distribute in communities. Participating organizations include the Boston Children’s Museum, Head Start, Even Start and the Reach Out and Read program at Boston Medical Center.

Parents, teachers and caregivers may also attend Ready to Learn workshops offered by stations such as Boston’s WGBH.

“Parents who participate,” Kennedy said, “are more critical consumers of television and their children are more active viewers. Children watch 40 percent less television overall, and they watch more education-oriented programming.”

Aside from the television and workshop funding, the act authorizes $20 million for “high quality teacher professional development,” which Kennedy said would provide materials for teachers to teach to increasing academic standards.

Kennedy praised the involvement of WGBH in the Ready to Learn program, pointing out that the Boston station created two long-running programs, “Reading Rainbow” and “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?”

According to Kennedy’s office, the act is a part of Congress’ current budget and has an authorization for $50 million. If it is not approved during the budget vote, Kennedy and Cochran will reportedly seek authorization in a separate bill.