Debate turnout indicates disinterest

I would like to commend the three slates that participated in last night’s debate for control of the Student Union Executive Board. All three groups did an admirable job answering questions to which there are no easy answers.

The Real slate repeatedly stressed their desire to become a source of information for the student leaders at Boston University. Perpetual Motion spoke of rape related issues and New Blood focused on targeting the entire student body through a major concert and cable on campus.

Many slates remarked about the apathy of the student body at Boston University toward the Student Union. This was in fact a central issue during the debate and a general consensus among the slates was reached in favor of finding new ways to increase student awareness. The extremely poor attendance at Morse Auditorium last night only illustrates the high level of disinterest that exists. Due to a lack of advertisement and successful public relations many students were unaware that a debate was even taking place.

It saddens me to see that the presence of the Student Union has been virtually absent from student life over this past academic year. At the debate, Jason Nadler, the presidential candidate of New Blood, mentioned that less than 2,500 students voted in last year’s election. Furthermore, only four audience members raised their hands after Nadler asked if anyone in attendance was a non-partial voter.

I hope that more students will take the time to attend the second debate, which will be held next Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Morse Auditorium. Best of luck to all three slates in the upcoming election.

Kerry Cole

CAS ’03