HIV protection still needed

After attending Fenway’s forum Tuesday night I was approached by a Free Press reporter who asked if I was a Boston University student because I was reading a copy of the paper. At first, I was shocked to see a reporter from The Daily Free Press there. I also was hopeful that an article would publicize that HIV vaccines are undergoing clinical trials and that there is some hope in the future for a vaccine.

However, I also feel that the BU community may be educated more so than other schools about transmitting HIV, but I am aware that many (or most) do NOT know that you (yes, YOU!) CAN get HIV through oral sex. Although it is a SAFER sex than other types, it is still possible that you can get HIV from receiving or performing oral sex no matter what the sex of the other person is.

It is still unfortunate that many people, including a large percentage of BU students, think that HIV and AIDS is “dying out.” The real truth is that HIV infections are on the RISE, especially people in our age group between 18 and 24 years old.

People with HIV/AIDS are living longer because of combination therapy and other medications, but HIV is still out there, affecting everyone in every race, gender, creed, ethnic origin and sexual orientation. So to everyone, use condoms!

Thank you to The Daily Free Press for covering an issue that is important to everyone, even if some people have not been affected by friends with HIV or AIDS.

Haley Blaska

CAS ’01