BU hoping to bounce back

The Boston University softball team expected to go into Hofstra University last weekend and make its case to return to the America East Conference championship.

The Pride had its own statement waiting for the Terriers. It wasn’t exactly what the team wanted to hear.

Big-run innings allowed Hofstra to take three of four games against BU. In the first game of the doubleheader, the Pride got to sophomore starter Robyn Horrick by the third inning, where a six-run outburst secured its victory. During Sunday’s doubleheader, four-run and nine-run first innings knocked the Terriers against the ropes early, with the team never fully able to recover. BU was eventually outscored, 29-9, during the four-game series.

Obviously, BU coach Amy Hayes was disappointed at the outcome of this weekend’s results. But if there is any positive to come out of this weekend, Hayes hopes these losses will be a wakeup call for her team to clear out any distractions and come out for its next game with a new intensity.

“We need to clean up our mental game,” Hayes said. “I don’t know if the team is battling stuff from the past. … But they need to get over it and play its game.”

Hayes said the first step should be to get Horrick back “on the right page.” Horrick had a masterful performance against the University of Rhode Island last Wednesday, shutting down the Rams’ bats in a 3-0 victory. But this weekend was a different story as “Shakes” lasted only 2 1-3 innings on Saturday, allowing six hits and five earned runs. On Sunday, Horrick didn’t even make it out of the first inning, giving up four earned runs and two walks while recording only one out.

Despite the disappointing performances, Hayes is confident a little hard work in practice will pay off for Horrick the next time around.

“She looks to be in a sophomore slump right now,” Hayes said. “She needs to step it up … and I know she’s up to it.”

Horrick wasn’t the only BU pitcher victimized by Hofstra’s bats this weekend. Sophomore hurler Tiffany Finateri was beaten up in the second game of the doubleheader Sunday, serving up 15 hits and 10 earned runs in five innings. But in spite of what the box score might say, Hayes was still impressed with the toughness Finateri displayed during the outing.

“She has thrown a lot of innings,” Hayes said. “I felt Finny had a great outing. … She got herself out of a lot of holes. … She got us ground balls, but we didn’t back her up. We were making bad decisions and just didn’t make the plays.”

Hayes wasn’t the only one disappointed with her team’s performance. Senior captain Robyn King, the only BU pitcher to record a win this weekend, was one of many Terriers who expected a better outcome than what transpired this weekend.

“I’m confused. … I don’t exactly understand what is going on right now [with the team],” King said. “We’ve never had so many runs scored on us like that.”

True, the Terriers may have had their mental lapses on the field. But that didn’t stop their bats from making a little noise in the process. The Terriers pounded out 21 hits this weekend — not bad for being stuck to batting cages during practices in the Armory over the past few weeks. Sophomores Karen Seidler and Kristin Knesek each registered two hits in the second game on Sunday, and redshirt sophomore Janine Valente smacked two hits of her own, including her first home run for the Terriers this season.

Unfortunately, injuries continue to plague the team early on this season. Valente is questionable for Wednesday’s doubleheader against Brown University after hurting her hand in her last at bat Sunday.

Senior center fielder Kenya Palmer is also doubtful after spraining her ankle last week in practice. And although she was used as a pinchrunner this weekend, freshman outfielder Bridget Dunlap doesn’t look like she’ll see anymore playing time this week, as she is recovering from a back injury.

But even more important than injuries, Hayes said, is consistency. In particular, Hayes will look for senior second baseman Kerry Herr to become more consistent at the plate as well as in the field.

“She’s holding back,” Hayes said. “She needs to lay it all on the line.”

For the Terriers, there is no more time to waste. If they expect to be in the America East championship game, they will need to mentally bear down and put all the facets of their game together — pitching, hitting and defense — in order to succeed.

“This past weekend was a kick in the butt [for us],” King said. “In practices, we were going through the motions. We’re not playing at a level we are capable of. … The physical abilities are all there. … But we need that mental toughness.

“[With that], we can put games away.”