Lacrosse looking to recover after falling in rankings

Now is the time.

After being ranked as high as No. 6 in the nation — the highest national ranking ever in BU’s history — the Boston University women’s lacrosse team (6-4, 2-0 America East) dropped to No. 15 in this week’s IWLCA poll.

After crushing conference foe University of Vermont, 23-1, BU lost to Ivy League rival Harvard University and No. 14 Old Dominion University in the same week. The drop, from No. 7 to No. 15, is the largest of the season.

There is no better time than the present for the Terriers to regroup and play the way they are capable of playing.

If BU is to regain one of the top spots in the national polls, it must start today by beating Towson University in Maryland.

The Tigers are one of the weaker teams in the conference with a record of 1-2.

Ten games into the season, the Terriers have been led in scoring by freshman standout Polly Purcell. She leads the team in scoring with 30 points on 16 goals and 14 assists. Purcell has already earned America East Rookie of the Week honors twice this season. She has remained a legitimate scoring threat through both losses.

Senior midfielder Chrissy Lombard began the season as a virtually unstoppable scoring threat, pouring in at least two goals per game.

The Harvard loss put an end to that streak. But she still leads the team in goals with 26 and is one point behind Purcell in points.

After the offensive boom BU laid on the Catamounts, the Terriers have struggled on the offensive end of the field.

Before their current two-game losing streak, the Terriers outshot their last three opponents by 110 shots.

Those numbers have changed drastically in the last two games.

While the Terriers are still managing to produce shot attempts, the ball is simply not finding its way into the net.

The Terriers have only scored 11 goals in their last two contests.

BU will continue to play its home games away from home.

Due to renovations at Nickerson Field, the Terriers have been forced to play “home” games at Boston College, Harvard University and will play the University of Connecticut and Syracuse University at Babson College.

The Terriers have seven games remaining on the regular season schedule, four of which, including today’s game, are against conference opponents.

Because both their losses were against non-conference teams, the Terriers remain at the top of the league standings.

Today’s game against Towson is the perfect chance for the team to snap out of its offensive funk and make a statement.

A more important match-up will be Saturday’s game against the University of Delaware.

The Blue Hens are tied with BU atop the conference standings.