Livin’ the dream

Thousands of fitness zealots dashed through the streets yesterday in the 105th annual Boston Marathon. Perhaps you watched from the sideline thinking about what an unattainable feat running the marathon is.

But according to doctors, a 26.2-mile jaunt through the streets of Beantown is easier than you might think. Almost anyone can run in next year’s marathon, as long as they start training — today.

Novice runners — the ones who haven’t run since their junior high gym class — should start about a year in advance, according to Dr. Ramesh Gidumal, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at the New York University School of Medicine.

According to Gidumal, those who want to increase their running speed or distance, as well as those who have never run at all, should limit their running increases to no more than 10 percent a week. If inexperienced runners follow the 10 percent rule, starting at very short distances and times, they should work up to marathon speed and length in about a year.

“The 10 percent rule is very important, even for experienced joggers in exceptional physical shape,” Gidumal said. “A runner who is training for a marathon by increasing distance from 15 to 30 miles a week over the course of a month is looking for trouble and is bound to hurt themselves.”

According to Dr. Forrest Dolgener of the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, less is sometimes more when it comes to training for a long run.

“You don’t have to beat yourself up with high weekly mileage when you decide to go for your first marathon; more is not necessarily better,” Dolgener said.

In fact, running tirelessly day after day will not only wear on your body, but weaken your muscles, making them more susceptible to strain and injury.

The appropriate goal for a first marathon should be to finish — not to worry about time. Although runners span the spectrum of marathon clock-ins, Dolgener’s research suggests as long as training includes a regular long run, there is no advantage in running extra days to rack up higher weekly mile rates. In fact, plenty of studies show injury risk goes up with increased weekly mileage, which means since there is no performance advantage in running six days a week at moderate pace, why take the extra risk?

In Dogener’s study, one group of women and men trained for their first marathon six days a week by running from 23 miles a week and slowly building to 48. Another group ran four days a week starting at 18 miles and working up to 39 at the same moderate pace — a level of 20 percent less total mileage than the first group. Both groups went for a weekly long run beginning with an hour, building to two-and-a-half hours after 15 weeks of training.

The extra miles put in on the additional two days a week made no apparent difference.

In addition, at the end of this period, there were no differences between the two groups in oxygen uptake or heart rate. When they ran their marathon, in both groups women averaged about 4:50 and the men averaged about 4:15.

So, how often and how far should a person go on long runs? Some doctors prescribe a weekly long run, others prefer biweekly. Both methods work, according to the American Running Association. If you recover completely in one week that’s fine, but if you feel like taking two weeks to recover, that’s fine too.

PLAYING IT SAFE

One of the keys to preventing injury is to run in moderation. According to Gidumal, runners who accumulate more than 12 miles a week seem to have the most injuries and people who jog six miles a week or less seem to have the fewest injuries.

In addition, the most common injuries — ankle injuries — are often caused by not paying attention, Gidumal said.

“Stepping into a pothole of tripping on a rock in the road is common,” Gidumal said.

Gidumal advised not running at night and alternating looking at the ground and the road ahead.

“One sign that jogging may not be right for a person is if they have recurring injuries,” Gidumal said. “Runners constantly in a doctor’s office, more than once a year, with jogging-related injuries need to find an exercise that puts less stress on their body.”

That activity, according to the American Running Association, may be using an elliptical running machine, found in most fitness centers.

Elliptical trainers put less stress on the ankles and an impact less than that of the ground, according to American Running Editorial Board Member Dr. Jack Daniels.

However, the elliptical runner should be used with caution. Often, runners use the elliptical trainer in hibernation from win

ter weather, which, according to Daniels, is a recipe for injury.Replacing real running with machines can leave runners vulnerable to impact-related injuries when they return to outdoor running.

“Better to mix in some real running if you plan to be a runner when the weather warms up again,” Daniels said.

TRAINING SMART

Novices as well as seasoned runners can become better runners and reduce their risk of injury by adhering to some basic training principles.

A consistent stretching program can keep you running when you might otherwise become injured. Along with training mildly and choosing proper shoes, stretching is the most important thing you can do to protect from rough terrain. Benefits of stretching also include reduced muscle soreness after running and even better athletic performance.

Warm up by walking briskly or jogging slowly until breaking a sweat. This will warm up the muscles before vigorous activity, reducing the risk of injury. It’s harder to strain or pull a muscle that has been warmed up.

The cardinal rule of stretching: do not bounce. Stretch slowly, holding the stretch for 30-40 seconds. Bouncing risks injuring the muscle you’re trying to stretch and relax — if a muscle is stretched too quickly, it responds with a strong contraction, increasing tension. However, if the stretch is applied slowly, muscle tension falls and the muscle may be stretched further.

After running, cool down by walking briskly or jogging slowly. Cooling down allows the heart rate to slowly be brought back to normal.

Stretch after the cool down when your muscles are warm. Stretching a cold muscle could invite injury.

According to the American Running Association, if you’re sedentary, overweight, a smoker or a high blood pressure sufferer, check with a doctor before starting a running program.

WHAT’S MY MOTIVATION?

Having trouble mustering the determination for a long run?

“Go ahead and give in,” said American Running Association advisor Jeff Galloway. “Tell yourself you may not run after all … By doing this, you reduce the negative mental bombardment temporarily.”

Galloway advised a six-step ritual to gently ease the unmotivated into running:

1. Listen to some up-tempo, energizing music.

2. Put on running clothes and shoes to be comfortable, not to run.

3. Relax. Maybe read something uplifting.

4. Step out the door to see what the weather is like.

5. Walk down to the end of the block to see what the neighbors are doing.

6. Start running — slowly.