BUPD officer charged with rape

A high-ranking Boston University Police Department administrator pleaded innocent last Friday to three counts of raping a child in Suffolk Superior Court.

Lt. James Dalton, 54, a BUPD officer since 1967, was promptly put on voluntary leave when he informed Deputy Chief Enrico Cappucci of the pending allegations a month ago. The charges followed a two-year investigation.

The prosecution claims the alleged victim, now 24, had a sexual relationship with the defendant on three different occasions between the ages of 13-17.

Calling Dalton “well-respected” by the BU community, defense attorney Joseph Balliro said not only has the BUPD veteran had a distinguished career, but also has no record of involvement in any previous legal cases, civil and criminal.

According to BU spokesman Kevin Carleton, Dalton has had no history of being disciplined by the department.

“He’s been a very long and loyal employee of BU,” Balliro said.

Balliro said since the alleged incident is “nine or 10 years old” it should “give everybody pause to wonder why these charges would be brought at this time.”

Balliro would not speculate as to why the alleged victim would falsely accuse Dalton. In court on Friday Balliro pointed to a “recovered memory,” as reason for the charges, according to the Boston Herald.

Jim Borghesani, a spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office, would not comment on the case, but said, “We intend to bring him to justice.”

Dalton, whose main job revolved around distribution of finances, has had a desk job for many years.

Carleton said the University had no official statement on the matter.