Lecture Kicks Off Week In Honor Of Alumnus King

Boston University’s 17th annual celebration of civil rights activist and BU alumnus Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. begins today with a lecture on Nonviolent Civil Protest in the Terrace Lounge at the George Sherman Union at 6 p.m.

The celebration includes a number of events spanning five days. A number of lecturers will discuss topics ranging from affirmative action in higher education to school desegregation and diverse cultures in discussions that are open to the public.

Reginald Pryor, the director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, said the celebration is important because King is such a distinguished figure in history, as well as at BU, where he received his Ph.D. in philosophy in 1955.

“This event is tradition at Boston University. We have maintained that tradition over the years,” Pryor said. “It is a University program and is recognized by BU and we are very proud of that.”

A special service will be conducted honoring King at Marsh Chapel on Sunday. Rev. Dr. Prathia Hall, a King chair of social ethics, will give the sermon.

On Monday, recognized as Martin Luther King Day, BU will hold a commemoration in Metcalf Hall. Professor Farouk El-Baz, a research professor and the director of the BU Center for Remote Sensing, will give the keynote address.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs is expecting approximately 400 students, faculty and members of the community to come out for the events. Pryor said he expects a strong turnout at the commemoration, and encouraged students to take time to see the lectures and bring others to the events.

“Students should attend these events because we are very proud of this celebration here at BU,” Pryor said. “I encourage people to come out and bring their friends.”