North End Resident Meets Ice Creamers Ben and Jerry

After a shopping trip to Faneuil Hall the day after Thanksgiving, Lauren Von Fabrice didn’t expect a visit from ice cream kings Ben and Jerry.

“We were walking around Faneuil Hall and they were giving away free cleaning products, so I said, ‘Hey, let’s go over and check it out,'” Von Fabrice. “I filled out a little piece of paper, and five days later, I got a call.”

As her prize, ice cream moguls Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield paid a visit to her North End waterfront home, bringing assorted pints of ice cream and some very special cleaning products yesterday afternoon.

The contest was held to promote the importance of using non-toxic and natural cleaning products, as specialized by the Sun and Earth company, which is supported by the Barred Rock Fund. That non-profit venture fund was established by Cohen, who decided to invest in the company because it creates jobs in a low-income community while making a product that is environmentally friendly.

As the winner of the raffle, Fabrice entertained Ben, Jerry, and six of her son’s kindergarten friends. The ice cream party lasted a couple hours and ended with Ben and Jerry cleaning the kitchen with numerous Sun and Earth cleaning products.

“We just thought it would be fun to demonstrate the product with real people,” Greenfield said. “Originally, it was just going to be a cleaning party, but with us coming it soon turned into an ice cream party. We’re not really known as clean guys, so we thought it would be cool to come personally to clean the mess.”

Fabrice said she was glad they did.

“I screamed because I had never won anything before,” she said.