Track Teams Look To Season With Confidence

In the weeks leading up to final exams, the Boston University men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams had a few other things to worry about. With the notoriously fast Armory Track hosting meets on two consecutive weekends, the Terriers were in for some stiff competition.

On Saturday, Dec. 1, the two squads hosted a seven-team meet that included Bentley College, Central Connecticut State, the University of Maine, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, the University of New Hampshire and Providence College. The Armory Track, which will host the America East Championships again this year for the 12th time in 13 years, again posted fast times throughout the day.

The men finished fourth out of the seven teams, while the women had a tough day, coming in sixth.

The men’s team was led by senior Brian Irwin, who set a personal best in the 55-meter high hurdles, and freshman Jeff McAulay, who led the way for BU with a jump of 22 feet, five-and-one-quarter inches in the long jump. Irwin, who was timed at 7.5 seconds in the hurdles, also ran the first leg of the Terriers’ winning mile relay. His leg, timed at 51.1 seconds, opened the race, and his three teammates, senior Sean Clancey, junior Steve Deppe and junior Chris Brandon, followed up with even better times, combining to win in 3:22.4. Brandon also took the top spot in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.3 seconds.

“I think we finally have the groundwork that we need,” Clancey said. “We’re really excited about the championship meets in February, the New Englands and the America East, so we’re hoping to peak about then, just in time to move to the outdoor season in March.”

The Terriers were also victorious in the 4×400 meter relay. “We have about four or five guys that we can use interchangeably on the 4×4,” Clancey said.

After a 6th place finish in the Dec. 1 meet, the women’s team put up a much stronger showing at the Boston University Open the following weekend. With a third place finish as a team, and three Terriers winning their events, the squad changed the calendar optimistically to 2002.

In the meet, which included the State University of New York at Albany, Northeastern University, Yale University, Bentley College and Central Connecticut University, three Terrier women had standout performances. Junior Uzo Aduba won two events: the 55-meter dash with a personal-best 7.07 seconds, and the 200 meters in a time of 25.12. Junior Lauren Warman won the 400-meter dash in 58.21 seconds, and freshman Pamela Pierre jumped 17 feet, 5 inches to win the long jump. Senior Caroline Occean and junior Andrea Stuermer also performed well, finishing second in the 800-meters and the pole vault, respectively.

The men finished in fourth place at the BU Open, led by senior Chris Ferrara, who set a personal-best with a throw of 51 feet, seven-and-three-quarter inches in the 16-pound shot put. One runner, junior Liam Revell, whose presence will be sorely missed while he is in El Salvador for a semester of study, ran an impressive race in the 3,000-meter event. Competing against one of the top distance runners in the area, Albany’s Jaime Rodriguez, Revell used the last stretch to pass Rodriguez and win by .36.

The women’s team will be in action this Sunday at the Greater Boston Track Club Invitational at Harvard University’s Gordon Indoor Track. The men return to action this Friday at the Armory for the invitation-only Terrier Cup.

BU will be joined by Central Connecticut, the University of New Hampshire, the University of Maine, the College of the Holy Cross, Quinnipiac College and Sacred Heart University. This will be the last Terrier Cup held at the Armory, as it scheduled to be demolished and replaced by a new facility within the next year.