Women’s Hoops Takes On Vermont

The Boston University women’s basketball team will look to match its longest winning streak of the season when the University of Vermont comes to the Roof Saturday for a crucial America East conference clash.

The Terriers (12-7, 5-3 America East) are coming off one of their most impressive performances of the season, even if the statistics indicate otherwise. With leading scorer Katie Terhune and starting center Marisa Moseley back in Boston with the flu, the Terriers posted an ugly, but gutsy, 50-41 road win over the University of Hartford on Wednesday night. Moseley and Terhune (the America East’s leading scorer at 19.7 points per game) are expected to be back in the lineup Saturday.

The Terriers will need everyone at full strength to beat a Vermont team that has had the Terriers’ number as of late. The Catamounts (11-7, 5-2 America East), the preseason conference favorites, have won the last 12 meetings with the Terriers and 19 of the last 22 dating back to the 1991-92 season. BU head coach Margaret McKeon is 0-5 against Vermont, whose last loss to the Terriers came on Feb. 10, 1996.

The Terriers met the Catamounts in their conference opener at Patrick Gymnasium on Jan. 5. The Terriers rallied from a 15-point deficit to take a 42-41 lead with 11:26 left in the second half, but were unable to finish the job, falling 69-54 and remaining winless against the Catamounts in Burlington since 1989.

Vermont took care of business last night, rolling past Northeastern University, 77-58. The top-ranked offensive team in the conference at 67.2 points per game, the Catamounts featured a very balanced attack, led by forward Aaron Yantzi (11.9 ppg) and junior guard Morgan Hall (11.2 ppg).

Hall was selected by America East coaches as the preseason Player of the Year, but she, like her team, has endured a somewhat up-and-down season due to injuries and inconsistent play. However, Vermont has won six of its last seven games and is positioning itself for a late run at the top seed in the conference tournament.

The Terriers’ run of six home contests in seven games will conclude with games against the Universities of Maine and New Hampshire next Tuesday and Saturday, respectively. After next weekend, the Terriers will have only one more home game, a Feb. 21 date with the State University of New York at Stony Brook.