Cabbies Still Denied Higher Fare

Despite massive decreases in ridership, city officials said they shelved the proposed rate increase for city cabs in order to protect the recovery of other city industries since Sept. 11.

“We’d like nothing better than to increase a working man’s wage,” said Mark Cohen, director of licensing for the Boston Police Department. “But it would be inappropriate at this time.

“Not to say that they don’t deserve it or work very hard,” Cohen added.

The BPD had to reevaluate the increase after Sept. 11, concerned it might negatively impact other city industries.

According to Cohen, the increase, which the city has been considering since last June, was nearly a done deal prior to Sept. 11. Police Commissioner Paul Evans, in whose hands the decision ultimately lies, appointed a special hearings officer to take testimony from cab drivers, citizens and other involved parties. The BPD was expected to make a decision as early mid-November, with the increase taking effect after New Year’s.

Cohen said the request was “a very normal process,” saying the proposed increase — which he estimated to be 15-20 percent — was justified a few months ago. According to Cohen, it would be the first increase since 1997.

“Back burner is the word,” Cohen said about the increase. “It’s still on the stove, but this is not the time.”

Cohen said Cambridge shelved until October a comparable increase that had already been approved to take effect this March. He said a similar rate hike proposed to the Taxi and Limousine Commission in New York City had been denied for the same reasons.

He attributed the 20 percent decrease in the number of flights into Logan Airport as the biggest strain on Boston’s restaurant, hospitality and taxi industries. An increase in rates right now might damage the recovery of those industries by deterring more people from traveling.

“There’s no business out there,” he said. “Cab stands are full and radio calls are down.”

Cohen said the cab business might still be down as much as 30 percent.

Steve Sullivan, general manager of Metro Cab, agreed with Cohen.

“It’s a very sticky situation,” he said. “If we increase now, we lose more riders.”

However, Sullivan’s estimates on the hit the industry has taken are more severe. He said Metro Cab has faired better than most Boston taxi companies, losing only 50 percent of its business in the last five months. According to Sullivan, Metro Cab’s ridership is down from 2,200 people a day before Sept. 11 to 1,400 people on a good day now. He said other companies have lost as much as 70 percent of their business.

“The whole industry is really hurting,” Sullivan said. “Drivers can’t make the bills every week … So many people are losing their cabs.”

John Hugo, a dispatcher for Brighton Allston Cab, echoed Sullivan’s sentiments.

“I can tell you in 15 years it’s never been so hard to make a living,” he said. “You can drive around for 12 hours and come home with 20 bucks.”

Cohen denied allegations that the MBTA’s new Night Owl service had significantly hurt the cab industry.

“I’d like to see the empirical data,” he said. “It hasn’t had a huge effect on their wallets. That problem is dwarfed by the 20 percent fewer flights into Logan.”

Several Boston University students said they still take cabs late at night in spite of the new T service.

“It’s pretty much the only option,” said School of Management sophomore Mara Weinraub.

“If you go out, there’s no other way to get around,” said College of Arts and Sciences junior Caroline Lockhart.

Still more students said increased rates would not affect their cab use. Jake Morrow, a sophomore in CAS, said he would continue to take cabs even if the proposed hike was put into effect.

“When I take cabs, it’s when I need to,” Morrow said. He said he had used the Night Owl, but there are still times when you need to take a cab.

“I probably wouldn’t change because there is no alternative,” said Kate Hill, a sophomore in CAS who said she takes cab six or seven times a week.