Field hockey set to face Big Green

The Boston University field hockey team returns to action after a nine-day layoff against Dartmouth College at 3 p.m. this afternoon at MIT’s Jack Barry Field.

BU (3-3, 0-0 America East) is coming off a 1-0 overtime loss to the No. 1 ranked University of Maryland on Sept. 15. The loss was BU’s third in its last four games after starting the season 2-0.

During the skid, BU’s offense went cold. After scoring nine goals in the first two games of the season, the Terriers have scored only two during the last four games.

BU will look to junior forward Lindsey Domers and junior midfielder Dalinda Banuelos to revitalize the offense. Domers, who was named America East Player of the Week earlier this year, leads the Terriers with three goals and seven points so far this season. Banuelos is second on the team with six points and leads the team with fifteen shots on goal.

Despite the recent lack of offense, BU’s defense has been superb. Anchored by senior goalkeeper Susan Harrington and her .857 save percentage, BU has allowed only one goal in each of its six games this season.

“We’ve been playing very well defensively,” Domers said. “We just want to get our offense and defense on the same page.”

Dartmouth (2-2, 1-1 Ivy League) is coming off a 6-2 win over Fairfield University last Sunday. Senior back Lisa Thomas and senior forward Lauren Welsh each scored two goals for the Big Green in the win. Welsh leads the team with six goals in only four games. Thomas and senior midfielder Carolyn Steele are tied for second on the team with three goals apiece.

The recent long layoff gave BU plenty of valuable practice time, allowing the team to concentrate on fitness and offensive execution. Coach Sally Starr praised the team’s performance in recent practices.

“I’m very pleased with the progress in offense during the week,” Starr said. “We’ve had a very good practice week.”

“We’re trying to build our game, build our attack since the Maryland game,” Domers added. “Our team as a whole is looking really good now.”

Focusing on fitness may pay big dividends in the future for BU. The Terriers have not fared well this season in overtime games, losing to the College of William and Mary and the University of Maryland in the extra session. Increased endurance and fitness levels may turn those overtime losses into wins during the remainder of the season.

The long layoff also allowed BU players Harrington, junior forward Whitney Peabody, and sophomore midfielder Erin Burke-Webster time to get healthy and rested.

“We must capitalize on our scoring opportunities,” Starr said. “If we stick to our game and play good field hockey, we’ll do fine.”

After the Dartmouth game, BU embarks on a three-game road trip to Ann Arbor to take on the University of Michigan and Ball State University before heading to Connecticut to face Yale University. The Terriers return home Oct. 6 to play the University of Rhode Island at MIT’s Jack Barry Field.