Ban on Smoking

Dear Editor, I am appalled at the one-sided coverage on the smoking ban issue in today’s Daily Free Press. As a non-smoker, I felt that the voice and concerns of non-smokers and the workers that the ban concerns were not recognized or represented. I come from California where this law has already been passed to help the health of waitress’ and bartenders. There did not seem to be such a huge loss in business or outcry from the smokers after the law was passed and I think that the people here in the East need to support a healthier environment for all citizens. The non-smoking BU students already have to put up with smokers hovering around doorways and the Tsai Center steps or having smoke blown in your face from the student in front of you while walking to class. The situation has gotten better in the past year, but enough is enough. I want to breathe! When the winter comes, yes it will be cold and it will suck to have to go outside to smoke, but then maybe you’ll give a second thought to your disgusting habit. The Patch is a wonderful invention that will keep that nicotine flowing through your blood, while allowing you to smell wonderful at the same time and not kill your friends. Hey or you could give up smoking altogether and the money you save could go towards paying our insane tuition. The fact that smokers think this ban is infringing on their rights is ridiculous. My right to breathe and live comes over a smokers right to die! It is stated that I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Life comes before happiness meaning smokers should go outside! I hope that DFP will next time cover both sides of such a controversial issue. Tori Botticelli CAS ’05