Bees highlight stinging environmental issues

Boston University students’ heads buzzed with swarms of environmental ideas as they walked through BU Central Monday night.

The Beehive Design Collective gave a presentation to about 30 people by using murals of bees to spread political and environmental messages. The Beehive Collective is an international group made up of volunteers, educators, artists and organizers. On Monday, the message urged for a solution to the world’s environmental problems.

‘The message is something everyone has to hear,’ organizer Eddie Miller, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, said. ‘It is an easy way to educate others and yourself.’

The art focused on how the environment affects social issues in the world, particularly in Colombian, Appalachian and Mesoamerican regions. Entering BU Central, students saw a mural on the left side of the room, depicting worker bees and the problems they face with commercialization. Sitting down, a mural of bees facing world issues laid on the ground in the front of the room.

Beehive Collective representative Noah Dillard and Rising Tide of America spokeswoman Jessie Dowling gave a lecture about the environment as pictures rolled across a projector screen depicting bees as they struggled through climate changes, landfill gas, nuclear power, carbon trading and agro fuels. The different murals portrayed different species of bees to represent the diversity of individuals affected by these environmental issues.

‘We use bees to show the break down of imaginary society between humans and the natural environment,’ Dillard said.

Rising Tide of North America is another group that emphasizes climate problems and their lack of solutions from the corporations that cause them.

Making the graphics is a long process, because teams of illustrators and educators go to where the stories are occurring to get inspiration for the artwork, Dillard said.

Dowling, the Rising Tide for America lecturer, criticized America’s resource policy in her address to the audience.

‘We use 30 percent of the world’s resources, but we do not posses them in our country,’ Dowling. ‘As a result, we exploit others’ resources, which is an economic issue for the other countries. This, in turn, leads to the ‘loss of local sovereignty,’ which then causes social issues in the world.’