Local restaurants feel the pinch, owners say

Boston University students trying to tighten their wallets in an economic recession may be tightening their belts as a result of eating out less, local restaurants reported.

While some campus-area restaurants are being affected by the poor economy, others have yet to be affected, restaurant owners and managers said.’

Brown Sugar Caf’eacute; Operating Manager Kao Niemseng said the restaurant has experienced a significant drop in sales over the past year.

‘We are down about 30 percent or more, and this is usually our busiest time of the year,’ Niemseng said.

The types of dishes customers tend to order have also changed, Niemseng said.

‘Customers are now sharing dishes or ordering more inexpensive items,’ he said. ‘It’s very obvious that they are budgeting.’

BU finance and economics senior lecturer Mark Williams said this is behavior typical of most Americans right now.

‘Typically, during a recession, there is less spending on disposable things,’ Williams said. ‘Though people won’t deprive themselves of going out completely, they will choose restaurants that are reasonably priced and avoid the expensive filet.’

College of Communication junior Cassandra Aviles said she eats on campus more often instead of spending money on dining out.

‘I work hard and try to save as much money as I can,’ Aviles said. ‘I don’t spend it as much as I used to . . . especially on food.’

T-Anthony’s Pizzeria Owner Joe Rastellini said his restaurant is beginning to see a drop in sales, although mainly during the day.

‘At night time, you can only see it off a little bit,’ he said. ‘We have a huge advantage because we’re located so close to a college campus.’

The close proximity can sometimes be negative, however, because sales tend to be seasonal, Rastellini said.

Boston Pizza and Grill Owner Elie Sarkis said he is taking firm action to prevent drops in sales, which he has yet to see.

‘Without the recession, I would have been making better than a 20 percent increase this year,’ Sarkis said. ‘But I’ve spent a lot more on advertisements, promotions and menu deals.’

Unlike many of its competitors, UBurger in Kenmore Square has not only maintained sales, but has continued to thrive and grow, so much so that UBurger is expanding and opening up a second location near West Campus, which is scheduled to start serving in two weeks, manager Nick Kouvlis said

‘Usually in a recession, anything under $10 as a price point tends to thrive,’ Kouvlis said. ‘We’re looking to have a strong start with our new location.’

Proximity to campus, as well as Fenway Park for summer business, are two factors that have greatly influenced UBurger’s success, Kouvlis said.

‘I think over the years the amount of business we get from the students and Red Sox fans will always be consistent,” he said.

‘The new location by West Campus will probably thrive for eight months or so and then hit a lull,’ Kouvlis said. ‘But we expect that and are ready to handle it.’