Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Lily Allen smiles once again

Lily Allen’s new CD ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You,’ released February 9, picks up where the British artist’s hit debut ‘Alright, Still’ left off. The sassy Allen pairs light music and edgy lyrics with her bubble gum voice to produce a unique audio experience. At first listen, songs like ‘Not Fair’ and ‘Never Gonna Happen’ sound lighthearted, but the lyrics are about the woes of having a boyfriend who prematurely ejaculates, and the endless disappointments men bring to women.’

Britney Spears, who recently made headlines for her highly suggestive ‘If U Seek Amy,’ seems G-rated in comparison to Allen’s bluntly titled track ‘F–k You.’ Mothers everywhere can rest assured, though, because the song is actually a statement to combat racism as part of Allen’s attempt to produce a more mature second effort. She tells racists, ‘Do you, do you really enjoy living a life that’s so hateful? Cause there’s a hole where your soul should be.’ Using shock value for publicity is nothing new, but in a time where nearly anything goes, the stakes have been raised for Allen and her poppy counterparts. Other topics covered in the album include Allen’s family, the struggles of being an aging woman in the modern world, and God, who she sings about in ‘Him.’

‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’ features fun danceable music and smart humorous lyrics.’ Not intended for those who are easily offended, the album is enjoyable to the open minded. While it’s certainly not a musical masterpiece, Allen provides listeners with another ‘Smile.’