Marathon dancers raise $28K for pediatric AIDS relief

About 250 Boston University students tried to prove Lady Gaga right and ‘just dance’ this weekend by participating in one of BU’s biggest annual fundraising events: Dance Marathon.’

Students managed to raise more than $28,000 in donations for the 18-hour marathon in the Sargent Activities Center gym, which began at 3 p.m. on Saturday and lasted until 9 a.m. on Sunday. All money supported the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, an organization that promotes research and advocacy of pediatric AIDS, and One Heartland, a group that organizes different camps year-round for adolescents affected by the disease.’ ‘

‘People seemed eager to give,’ School of Management junior Melyssa Leibowitz, who danced in the marathon, said.

Over the past six years, the fundraiser has donated more than $280,000 directly to charity, but despite having more participants this year, students were unable to top last year’s total of $35,000.’ ‘

The marathon included dance and costume contests, guest performances, raffles, free food and different speakers. This year, Ben & Jerry’s, The Pita Pit and Vitamin Water were some of the sponsors that kept the dancers fueled, and appearances by the Boston Celtics junior dance troupe and BU groups such as the Dear Abbeys, the Vibes and even Rhett the Terrier all kept the gym floor shaking.

School of Education sophomore Arielle Adler, who danced with the Stage Troupe team, said she signed up because she thought it would be fun.

‘Surprisingly, it hasn’t been as mentally exhausting as it’s been physically,’ Adler said about four hours into the marathon. ‘My knees are starting to hurt.’

Fundraisers that benefit AIDS organizations are ‘inspirational’ and ‘a perfect forum for students to learn and be able to see the faces of the epidemic,’ one local mother who attended the marathon with her two adopted HIV-positive children said.

The mother, who wished to remain anonymous to protect her children’s privacy, has struggled to enroll her sons in nursery school, she said. Both boys were rejected enrollment to three different schools before finally being admitted to one, she said. Many people still mistakenly believe that HIV is contagious by touch, or that it is a disease often associated with drug addicts and homosexuals, she said.

‘The education isn’t always there,’ she said.’ ‘

EGPAF representative Uma Mehta said she was glad to see such a large turnout this year. In the United States, those with the highest occurrence of new HIV infection fall between ages 15 to 24, which is why it is so vital to promote awareness among youth, she said.’ ‘ ‘

‘More and more dancers mean more young people are becoming aware of the issue of HIV and AIDS,’ Mehta said.

College of Arts and Sciences senior Jess Stah, who acted as an overall chairwoman for the fundraiser, said being able to interact with the HIV-infected children who would benefit from the marathon reminded participants of the real purpose of their dancing.’

‘As corny as it sounds, my favorite part is being able to see the local kids [who are affected by HIV] that come out,’ Stah said.