Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Fans get cold shoulder

I’m hearing that student tickets for the Frozen Four will only be available to students via raffle. I must say, as a season ticket holder and loyal follower of the Boston University men’s hockey team for the five years I’ve been a student here, I am outraged. If tickets to the most important games this university has seen in 12 years are only available to any student with a SportsPass via a random drawing, then this is a significant failure in decision making. At no point in my time at BU has there been a raffle for tickets; instead, it was ‘first come, first serve’ to those who were dedicated enough to wait in line for them. In addition, that my priority as a SportsPass Upgrade holder is meaningless and any freshman with a SportsPass who has never been to a hockey game in his/her life can very easily get a ticket over me is sickening. This will now force many loyal students to go through black market avenues to get tickets and risk being scammed (this has already happened to a friend of mine). Vermont is handling student tickets by having a first come, first serve sale that began Wednesday.

I strongly urge those with the ability to make such a decision to rethink this. For those students who follow this team all over the country, these games are incredibly meaningful to us. We walked out of Worcester in 2006 heartbroken after a Frozen Four appearance was ripped from us, and now, we’ve finally been able to erase those thoughts from our heads. To put our ability to purchase tickets to this event more or less to a crap shoot is appalling.

Steve Thaw

COM ’09