Lacrosse, Sports

Dalton breaks points record; lax beats BC

With Boston College wearing pink jerseys and the Boston University lacrosse team using pink stick handles, the B-line rivals collaborated to raise money and awareness, selling t-shirts to fight women’s cancers on behalf of the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund.

But in this ‘Power in Pink Showdown,’ the red-hot Terriers proved to be too much for the Eagles. Riding a six-game winning streak, No. 12 BU dominated on the road in a 13-6 win.

From the start, the Terriers controlled the game, scoring nine goals before the Eagles even got on the board, which didn’t come until six minutes into the second half. Earlier, All-American senior midfielder Sarah Dalton broke BU’s record for career points with her 242nd tally. She came into the game just one shy of Chrissy Lombard’s record, and after scoring a goal early in the first half, Dalton broke the record with another goal 5:17 into the second half. Dalton later added an assist and one more goal to give her 244 career points.

‘I’m very excited for her,’ BU coach Liz Robertshaw said. ‘I’m not surprised. It’s well-deserved. She’s worked tirelessly to become one of the best players BU has ever seen. It’s a credit to her, really. Every year, she works harder and harder to improve and become a top player.’

Aside from Dalton, junior attacker Traci Landy also put on an impressive performance with a game-high five goals. She struck early with two first-half scores, and had four of BU’s first seven goals. Landy also assisted the final score of the game, a goal by Dalton with less than four minutes remaining.

‘Great day for Traci,’ Robersthaw said. ‘She really played well the whole way through and had a quality shooting effort. She took smart shots.’

But just as Dalton’s record-setting goal had put BU in the driver’s seat, up 9-0, BC fought back with five unassisted goals, all by different players, to bring the score to 9-5 with eight minutes left in the half. However, the Terriers held firm on defense and finished the game strong, scoring five of the game’s last six goals.

Junior attacker McKinley Curro got the Terriers on the board first with a goal less than a minute into the game, and she finished the day with three unassisted goals and assisted on Dalton’s record-tying goal. Fellow juniors Erica Baumgartner and Xan Weitzel also notched multiple points for the Terriers, with Baumgartner assisting two first-half goals and scoring one of her own late in the second half. Weitzel assisted two goals earlier in the second half to give the Terriers the 9-0 advantage.

BC’s sophomore midfielder Kristin Igoe was the only Eagle with multiple points, but her second goal with four minutes left in the game came too late ‘-‘- BU had already doubled up the Eagles, 12-6. Still, BC managed to outshoot BU, 28-25, won more draw controls and had an 8-7 advantage in ground balls. The difference seemed to be BU’s goalie, junior Rachel Klein, who notched 15 saves.

‘She was awesome today,’ Robertshaw said. ‘Last game against Stony Brook was a little tough for her, but she was ready to go today. She worked hard in practice, and the defense helped her out, but really she had some big-time saves for us. And it’s big for her going into our next game against Vermont.’

The Terriers improve to 9-3 on the season, while the Eagles dropped their third game in a row to fall to 7-6. BU will be back in action on Saturday to take on the Catamounts in Vermont at 3 p.m.