Conductor text messaging during Green Line collision, officials say

A T’ conductor was text messaging’ on his’ phone when his Green Line train collided with another train and’ injured 49 people Friday night, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority officials said.

‘The operator in the first car of the second train has admitted to transit police detectives that he was texting at the time of, just prior to the accident,’ MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said.
The accident occurred on the Green Line between Government Center and Park Street stations at 7:18 p.m., Pesaturo said.
‘A Green Line train rear-ended another green line train,’ Pesaturo said.’ ‘The first two-car train was at a stop at a red signal before Park Street Station when it was struck from behind by the other two-car train.’
Pesaturo said the Boston Emergency Medical Services Department reports the transportation of 49 injured passangers to area hospitals. About 100 people were evacuated from the trains, according to the Associated press.
‘Forty-nine people from both trains were transported to various hospitals in Boston for various injuries including lacerations, bumps and bruises,’ Pesaturo said.
Pesaturo said MBTA rules allow for a harsh penalty against the texting operator.
‘There are very strict rules,’ Pesaturo said.’ ‘The punishment can include all levels of disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.’
Officials are still investigating the situation, however, Pesaturo said.