STAFF EDIT: UMass: Unnecessary fiasco

When University of Massachusetts Libraries staff invited convicted terrorist Ray Luc Levasseur, a founding former member of ’70s and ’80s radical group United Freedom Front, to speak at a forum on sedition last week, Gov. Deval Patrick and UMass President Jack Wilson objected to the invitation. A group of professors, however, decided to re-extend the invitation under the protection of their academic freedoms, and despite Levasseur’s ultimate no-show due to parole restrictions, the invite upset students and local police officers enough to send several hundred of them into a protesting frenzy. While an argument can be made in favor of the convicted terrorist visiting the university, it seemed to be one that was overlooked in the hoopla that ensued.

UMass Libraries invited Levasseur with the understanding that his presence would be an asset to the academic community. Yet when it was discovered that a violation of his parole was necessary in order for him to participate, the controversial speaker-to-be was forced to stay in Maine. Instead, ex-wife Pat Levasseur, also a former UFF member, spoke at the Nov. 12 forum in his place, along with other members of the jury of the 1989 sedition trial that ended with Levasseur’s acquittal.

For all the efforts of the UMass professors, it seems most of that energy was put into creating a stir. If their goal was, as stated, to get the terrorist’s valuable perspective for school-related purposes, the focus of their academic endeavors should have been just that: delivering his message, through any alternative means possible. Instead, the focus was on the invitation, and since the event went ahead without its key speaker, it just looked insincere.

If the professors were committed to bringing a valuable perspective and unique learning opportunity for their students, accommodations could have been made in order for that to happen. One of the simplest solutions: a webcam.

UMass is one of the country’s highest-ranking public universities. It undoubtedly has the capability to videoconference from Massachusetts to Maine. Instead, the UMass professors insisted on upsetting their students and alumni, denying the requests of both their university president and state governor in an ultimately failed effort, hurting their own reputations with actions resembling a publicity stunt more than an academically enlightening experience.