The Beantown Buzz: Fantasy football Week 9 overview

Latavius Murray of the Raiders pleased fantasy owners to the tune of three touchdowns on Sunday. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Week 9 of fantasy football: it was dark in Boston before the 1:00 games finished, six teams were on bye and injuries made fantasy benches more desolate than the Cleveland Brown’s offensive options. The unpredictable beast of fantasy football struck again Sunday.

Week of the running back:

For the first time all season in ESPN standard scoring, the top three scorers for the week were running backs. Two of them had been on the wrong side of the rankings almost all season long, and are two of the most frustrating tailbacks in fantasy.

Mark Ingram (New Orleans Saints, RB): His inconsistencies make him a weekly fantasy nightmare. Owners most likely drafted him in the second or third round and he hasn’t come close to returning that value in the Saints high-scoring offense. Last week Ingram had three carries for five yards with a fumble and was benched for backup Tim Hightower. Expectations couldn’t have been lower this week for Ingram. He goes for 158 rushing yards and two total touchdowns. Go figure.

Latavius Murray (Oakland Raiders, RB): Murray, similar to Ingram, has struggled to meet his draft value. Coming into this week, he hadn’t eclipsed 60 yards rushing once. On primetime against an elite Broncos defense, Murray went off for three touchdowns and over 100 yards. This was the first time he rushed for 100-plus yards since Nov. 1 of last year.

No longer a fluke:

Jay Ajayi and Melvin Gordon are two of the most surprising running backs this season, and there is no stopping them now.

Jay Ajayi (Miami Dolphins, RB): In Week 1, Ajayi did not travel with the team because he was being a distraction off the field and not following team rules. That same back has now earned full trust of the Dolphins, running for a league-best 529 yards with four touchdowns in his last three games. Sunday he had 111 rushing yards and a score against the New York Jets, the best-run defense in the NFL.

Melvin Gordon (San Diego Chargers, RB): After failing to get in the end zone as a rookie, Melvin Gordon now owns expensive real estate between the pylons, pacing the NFL with 11 total touchdowns. Gordon had 261 total yards on 32 carries and might be the league’s most reliable workhorse.

Woeful Wideouts:

The most reliable position in fantasy this year has easily been wide receivers. This week receiver production from the league’s studs tapered off in a major way. For the first time this season, only six wide receivers had over 100 yards. And only four of them played on Sunday. And three of the players are absolute no-names. These guys didn’t even start themselves in their own leagues. Eli Rogers of the Steelers (103), Quinton Patton of the 49ers (106), Mike Wallace of the Ravens (124) and Jason Witten of the Cowboys (134) were the only four.

Looking ahead:

With week 9 in the rearview, most leagues’ trade deadlines are fast approaching. At the end of the year there is always a way to improve your team at a certain position if you know you might have tough running back matchups for the playoffs.

Players to watch rest of season:

James Starks (Green Bay Packers, RB): The Packers running back situation is as dire as the NFL has seen in a few seasons. With Eddie Lacy on injured reserve and James Starks out, they have used wide receivers in the backfield and a heavy dose of Aaron Rodgers. Starks could be back as early as this coming Sunday, but even if he isn’t back until Week 11, he is a must-own because he should handle all the team’s carries and goal-line work.

Dak Prescott (Dallas Cowboys, QB): Everyone knows that the Cowboys are 7-1, but Prescott is also emerging as a fantasy stud. He has eight total passing touchdowns in his last three games and is averaging over 250 passing yards during that span. The Cowboys’ upcoming schedule will lend itself to close games, meaning Jason Garrett will continue to expand the playbook for Prescott. Get him in your lineup.

Michael Thomas (Saints, WR): This player won’t be on the waiver wire, but if you can acquire him in a trade, go and get him. He is becoming Drew Brees’ No. 1 target. Over the last four weeks, Thomas is 86 yards receiving and has scored three touchdowns in that time.

Eric Ebron (Detroit Lions, TE): After missing three straight games, Ebron has seven catches each of the last two weeks for over 75 yards. He hasn’t found the end zone during these weeks, but that should change as he has targeted more than eight times during those games.

Heading into the home stretch of the season, try to stockpile running backs and wide receivers. This gives you more flexibility with your lineup. Additionally, if you have two good quarterbacks and get something valuable, trade one of them. Happy fantasy, all.