REVIEW: “Maniac” captivates with stars Jonah Hill and Emma Stone, takes on dark topics

Emma Stone and Jonah Hill in Netflix’s latest mini-series, “Maniac.” PHOTO COURTESY OF NETFLIX

Netflix original “Maniac” is overwhelmingly weird and fills viewers with confusion with constant twists and turns in the plot. The show has provoked strong reactions, and some fans went as far as comparing the show to cult classic “Twin Peaks.”

Netflix has won the hearts of viewers with its original shows, such as “Stranger Things,” “Orange is the New Black” and “House of Cards” (pre-Kevin Spacey scandal), but the streaming service is further branching out with the miniseries that has a boatload of talent attached to it.

“Maniac” immediately grabs attention with its two stars — Emma Stone and Jonah Hill — and the plot is no less interesting.

Right from the get-go, many unseen plot events unfold, so only the briefest of summaries can be given. Owen Milgrim (Jonah Hill) and Annie Landsberg (Emma Stone) are two people struggling with mental illness, until they are presented with a “miracle drug” that will supposedly rid them of their problems.

The first hour of this show is immediately eye-catching and memorable, which is surprising considering the common trend of shows taking a few episodes, or even seasons, to find their footing (looking at you, “The Office”).

Producer Cary Joji Fukunaga, the creative mind behind “Beasts of No Nation” and the first season of HBO’s “True Detective,” infuses “Maniac” with a fascinating visual flair that puts viewers inside the minds of the characters.

There is never a moment in this first episode where the audience is not feeling what the protagonists are feeling, as a variety of close-ups and surreal, psychedelic elements force viewers to come to terms with some dark and uncomfortable emotions, making for a far more interesting experience in the process.

One very refreshing aspect of this drama is how respectfully it treats people with mental illness. Many movies and shows present a negative stereotype of these people as violent and murderous, often implying that their condition will always lead to criminal behavior.

“Maniac,” on the other hand, understands that its main characters are human beings simply dealing with a different set of problems than others. It never judges them or presents them as a joke. In a scene where Owen is being mocked by other characters, the tone is very clearly sympathetic toward him.

And the performances are fantastic, as is to be expected of two lead actors of this caliber. Hill has been trying to make a name for himself as a serious actor and director, and he proves here that he is more than capable of handling a dramatic role.

Owen is a deeply unhappy individual struggling with inner demons, and Hill conveys this perfectly and makes viewers forget all about his prior comedic roles in movies such as “21 Jump Street” and “Superbad.”

If there is one criticism that could be made about the pilot episode, it’s that Emma Stone receives very little screen time. Granted, she has far less to prove than Jonah Hill, having already given powerful dramatic performances in “Birdman” and “La La Land,” but it still would have been nice to see a bit more of her from the get-go.

The scenes she is in show Annie to be a very enigmatic and unpredictable character. Undoubtedly, she will be given more than enough time to shine in the remaining nine episodes.

The open-ended conclusion of the pilot makes further predictions about the series nearly impossible. The first episode was mainly concerned with establishing the characters and initial conflict rather than rushing into big events.

The show has a satirical undertone to it, perhaps mocking society’s obsession with finding quick, easy solutions to their problems. Although the show deals with dark subject matter, it will be interesting to see how much of this light, comedic touch is kept in over the course of the series.

If Netflix is looking to redeem itself somewhat after a string of mediocre releases, “Maniac” is their best shot. This dynamic, quirky premiere is engaging and unique. It should satisfy those looking for a thought-provoking drama that still manages to be highly entertaining.