Women’s soccer continues 11-year lock down on home field against Lehigh, 1-0

Sophomore forward Anna Heilferty in a game against Harvard University in October 2017. Heilferty recorded an assist in the Terriers’ 1-0 victory against Lehigh University Saturday. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team landed its second win of the season Saturday evening at Nickerson Field against Patriot League foes Lehigh University.

The win brings the Terriers (2-7-2, 1-0-1 Patriot League) to 44 straight conference wins at home, the second longest streak in the NCAA.

BU head coach Nancy Feldman spoke to the importance of winning in-conference games.

“Every conference game is its own playoff game,” Feldman said. “To qualify for the tournament, you have to put these teams behind you and start earning points. Nickerson Field is good to us, but we have to play our best soccer here.”

The lone goal of the match came in the eighth minute of the game off a header from senior defender Chelsea Churchill.

Churchill’s header was her first goal of the season, assisted by sophomore forward Anna Heilferty in a hectic scramble in front of Lehigh goalkeeper Miranda Royds.

The goal also marked the second game in a row the Terriers scored in the eighth minute against a Patriot League opponent, as Heilferty evened up the scoring against American last Saturday afternoon, assisted by Churchill.

“The play started from a corner and it looked to be over, but we’ve been working on making the most of the chances we have this week,” Churchill said on her goal. “I’m glad Anna [Heilferty] was able to execute the end-line drive, and I was able to capitalize on it.”

Lehigh eventually countered with its own attack, finishing the first half with a 7-4 shot advantage over the Terriers.

As the game progressed, Heilferty had a quality scoring chance in the 31st minute, forcing Royds to make her first save of the game, and the 34th minute, missing on a free kick that steered wide of the net.

BU did not get another scoring opportunity before halftime.

Freshman midfielder Taylor Kofton provided senior forward McKenna Doyle with an cross-post feed from the sideline in the 64th minute — the final save Royds was forced to make.

Feldman said she saw improvement in Doyle’s play through the course of the game.

“I thought she was trying to do too much, particularly with trying to turn players,” Feldman said. “It comes from the mentality, they want to [win] so bad. I am trying to get them to a place where they can be calmer with their level of aggressiveness.”

On the other side of the field, freshman goalkeeper Morgan Messner earned her second shutout and win as a Terrier after making a career-high six saves.

Of the Terriers eight remaining regular-season matches, seven are against Patriot League teams and four take place on Nickerson Field.

For its next match, however, BU will travel to Worcester Wednesday to face off against the College of the Holy Cross for the Turnpike Trophy.

“We wanted to play at a high speed, set the tempo and imprint our style [today],” Feldman said. “… Every upcoming game is important to us, and we have to win away games, too, especially at Holy Cross this Wednesday to get into the Patriot League tournament.”