Wake Me Up Boston: In appreciation of movies

Recently, I’ve rediscovered the power of film and its miraculous ability to transcend the screen. When done right, a movie can dust off even the deepest nooks and crannies of our minds and introduce us to an unimaginable concept or theory, successfully altering our outlook on life. Within any art form, such as visual imaging, theater, music or literature for example, a story is told that has the potential to produce change or action, usually touching on the human condition. At the very least, these various art forms share one definite commonality: the power to sweep us away from the present and immerse us in another world in which our sole task is to simply observe. For me, art as a form of entertainment provides a deserved break from everyday reality while simultaneously reminding me of this reality in a unique, thought-provoking way.

Craving this mental break, I set off on a movie-going binge this past weekend, cramming a “double-header” of movies into two days and a bit too much popcorn. Watching “Searching” and “A Simple Favor” in a span of 24 hours does something electrifying to the mind — namely, it activates all its switches into full ignition while nourishing the stomach’s appetite for drama and excitement. At the core, these classic psychological thrillers force us to question those closest to us and how much we really know them despite all odds — not an unfamiliar theme in the storytelling world.

Yet the films seem to master this morale in an innovative, fresh take with John Cho and Blake Lively as the talented centerpieces. I left the theater feeling more alive than I had in awhile, my thoughts circulating at a viciously rapid rate and my energy skyrocketing. In my opinion, this is what all successful movies should achieve, and no, not just the action movies.

A quick aside: I love a quality showing at the Regal Cinemas in Fenway — their massive, leather seats with pull-out footrests and tray tables make movie-going truly a luxury experience. Seeing these two highly acclaimed films at this cinema hotspot served as the icing on top of an already-delicious cake. After all, if I’m choosing to see a movie on the big screen over the tempting comfort of my living room couch, I expect the whole shebang. On the contrary, the theater at Coolidge Corner is another one of my favorites for its authentic, old-timey feel, perfect for viewing smaller, independent films. Its history dates back to 1906, when it was first built as a church. It is truly a gem to be remembered in the hub of Brookline (and I am planning on seeing the much-anticipated “A Star Is Born” here this weekend!).

The cinematic arts have served as pleasurable amusement for as long as they’ve existed, providing a cathartic escape from the real world and continuing to do just that. I really believe that the art of entertainment itself is an art. Even if purely entertaining films do not trigger social change or any major reaction that will affect the world, they still leave a lasting impression on the individual and help us appreciate the life we live by invigorating our senses. There are movies like the original 1975 “Jaws,” the first major shark movie that left the public terrified of stepping into the ocean out of fear of its deadly inhabitants, and there are movies like “Singin’ in the Rain,” possibly the most classic film/musical portraying a glitzy Hollywood in the 1920s and a new era of cinema. Both are entirely different genres evoking entirely different responses, but one thing is for certain: they both get you to feel.  

Coffee is my lifeline, every morning, afternoon and night—and occasionally in between. Find me café hopping with my nose buried in a book and a cappuccino by my side for good company. I’ll never pass up a chance to explore this adventure-packed city and its unique, bustling yet mellow culture.