Sorority recruitment moving on campus for Spring 2020

An aerial view of the Boston Marriott Copley Marriott Copley Place, where Boston University’s Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment has previously been held. This year, the event is being moved on-campus, where it will take place over two weekends. COURTESY OF ERIC LUMSDEN/ FLICKR

Sorority recruitment will take place on the Boston University campus for the 2019-20 year, the BU Panhellenic Council president wrote in an email. Recruitment will also take place over two weekends rather than one as it had in previous years.

For approximately the past decade, recruitment has been held at Marriott Copley in Back Bay.

This spring, recruitment will take place in East Campus buildings including Hillel and the BU Castle. Shuttle busses will be provided for those participating in recruitment to take them across campus.

Nicole Zarillo, president of BU Panhellenic Council, wrote recruitment had to be extended to two weekends because of the location change.

“Change in length is due to the change in location,” Zarillo wrote. “Since campus rooms cannot be used for 4 days in a row.”

Zarillo wrote she expects these changes will make recruitment more accessible to BU women interested in sororities.

Bryan Adams, senior associate director at the Student Activities Office, said this location change is not entirely unexpected.

“I think historically, they haven’t been doing off campus recruitment all that long. It’s only been eight or nine years,” Adams said. “It just got too big to be doing on campus the way they’d always done it.”

Kyla Denisevich, a College of General Studies sophomore in Alpha Epsilon Phi, said she thinks holding recruitment on campus will benefit the women rushing.

“I think it will be better because it won’t make everyone stressed out about school during that weekend,” Denisevich said. “I remember kids were studying in the breaks and it was really chaotic.”

Denisevich said she thinks that this change in location will help the women save money and get to know each other better.

Zarillo wrote recruitment will be held on Feb. 8, 9, 15 and 16. Bid day will be on Feb. 17.