BU highlights sex, relationship health with “29 days of stimulation”

Boston University is dedicating the month of February to highlight open discussions about sexual health on campus. The Center for Disease Control designates February as the National Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month, and beginning Monday, BU’s Student Health Services hosted the second annual Frisky February.

Jolion McGreevy, an instructor at the BU School of Medicine, spoke Monday at Frisky February’s SEXTalks, a lecture about sex, sexuality and relationships. He said these talks and proceedings are going to help kickstart necessary conversations.

“I’m most impressed with the breadth of topics this month,” McGreevy said. “Sex on TV sells, but it’s a narrow, distorted reality. It prompts students to ask only a small, stereotypical set of questions. This month will show students that much of what they know is wrong, and that there’s so much they haven’t yet thought to ask.”

McGreevy said talking about sex and sexual health shouldn’t be a daunting topic to students, and beginning with an open dialogue is the most important step in education.

“Like with everything else, exposure in a safe, encouraging environment is key,” McGreevy said. “Sex is an important part of health and wellness. We need to make sure students are comfortable talking about it.”

This month’s activities encourage the BU community to talk openly about sexual health, according to one of Frisky February organizers, Ava Marinelli. An array of forums, meetings and lectures focuses on different themes such as sexual orientation, navigating relationships, safe sex and anatomy, among others.

“It’s never too late to educate about anything, including sex,” Marinelli, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said. “Many BU students did not receive adequate sex education before coming to college. It’s absurd to assume that in the months between high school graduation and matriculation, that students will somehow acquire all the sexual health knowledge they need to be healthy and happy sexual beings in college and beyond.”

Sarah Benes, a professor in the School of Education, said sexual education should be open to all students to provide as many opportunities for students to learn.

“It is critical to provide multiple and varied opportunities for students to engage in this topic,” she wrote in an email. “Some students may connect with certain types of events, so having these varied events over the month might encourage a student to go out of their comfort zone.”

Upcoming Frisky February events include a trivia night, a relationship workshop and a discussion with Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore.

“Talking about love with Dean Elmore on my birthday? I’m about it,” Jordan Puskas-Sullivan, a freshman in CAS, said.

Several students said sexual health is becoming an increasingly popular topic not only on campus, but around the nation.

Sean Perreira, a freshman in the College of Communication, said Frisky February is good in the sense that it relates to relevant topics in today’s society.

“Interactive and dynamic events alike are usually more enticing, and the fact that this issue concerns everyone, to some extent, makes it even more likely to have an impact,” he said.

Idine Mousavi, a junior in CAS, said the 29 days of forums and open conversation will raise awareness and highlight stimulating dialogues on sexual health.

“Creating an environment in which sort of taboo topics, such as sexuality and sexual health, are seen as essential to a healthy lifestyle is key,” she said. “It’s especially important to cultivate this kind of awareness to properly address the topics of sexual assault and rape on college campuses.”

Emma Howard, a freshman in the College of Engineering, said sexual health is important knowledge for any individual on a college campus.

“Whether you’re sexually active or not, being aware of sexual health precautions and other repercussions is very important,” she said. “It not only teaches us about how to have safe sex, but it also teaches us about forming healthy relationships, which is extremely relevant in all our lives.”