BU student charged with drunk driving, killing 18-year-old

A Boston University student appeared in court Monday morning and faced charges for allegedly drunk driving and killing an 18-year-old in Central Massachusetts over the weekend, prosecutors said.

Joseph Kapp, 19, of Gardner, was charged with motor vehicle homicide by operating under the influence of alcohol, operating under the influence of alcohol and negligent operation causing serious bodily injury, according to a statement from Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr.’s office.

Fitchburg District Court Judge Dennis Sargent set bail at $2,500 on the condition that Kapp surrender his passport, stay drug- and alcohol-free, and not drive, according to Tim Connolly, a spokesperson for Early’s office.

Kapp was driving with two passengers in Lunenburg at around 3:15 a.m. Saturday morning when he lost control of his 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer and struck several trees, prosecutors allege.

One passenger, Austin Robbins, 18, of Lunenburg died in the crash, according to Early’s office. The other passenger, Sean McNiff, 19, of Lunenburg, was taken to a hospital for treatment. Kapp was uninjured in the accident, according to the statement.

BU spokesperson Colin Riley confirmed Kapp was a BU student but declined to comment further on what he called a “terribly tragedy.”

Joseph Kapp is due back in court Sept. 29.