20 questions with women’s soccer’s Christina Wakefield

Senior Christina Wakefield said that she liked pumpkin picking more than apple picking. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston University’s women soccer team has outscored their opponents 11-0 in the last five games. Scoring three of those goals is senior forward Christina Wakefield. The Daily Free Press sat down with Wakefield to learn about some lesser known facts from the team’s most potent offensive threat.

1. What made you decide to play soccer in the first place?

I’ve just always pretty much wanted to play soccer. I started at such a young age. It was kind of between ski-racing and soccer, and when I hit age 12, I was really talented. I wanted to pursue it, I had a great time playing it, my family loved it and I just to kept doing it and pursued a college career.

2I know that you’re playing this year with a hurt ACL, how did you hurt it?

I tore my ACL and meniscus last season when we played American [University] at home. I was running to the ball in the box, [the] goalie came out, kind of planted, had a little bit of contact and I just knew it automatically that I tore it.

3. How is it now?

It’s 100 percent, I’m playing with it. I am almost a full year out from surgery, and so far it’s good. I’m brace free, no brace anymore *laughs* I’m braceless.

4. Do you have any pre-game superstitions or rituals?

I always have to a certain playlist before the games. I like being hyped and pumped up before the game and at a certain hyped level. I’m not a big superstitious person. I like just getting to the right zone.

5. If you were stranded on an island with one of your teammates, past or present, who would it be?

The person I can think of is our current centre-back Alivya Wimmer because she knows the outdoors and I know the outdoors and I think that if we put our heads together we would be able to survive and fish and build a hut or something.

6. What is your go to pre-game meal?

Every home game we always have a pre-game meal at T. Anthony’s and I always get a chicken, rice and cheese wrap — which is a classic. It fills me up just enough and it’s pretty decent.

7. If you could cast an actress to play you in a movie, who would you pick?

Oh my gosh, I don’t know … I mean, the first one that comes to my head that I would love to play me, Jennifer Aniston. I would love that. I don’t know if she’ll be able to.

8. You just won one million dollars what is your first purchase?

Food *laughs* or sneakers.

9. Where is your favorite BU location to study?

In the basement of StuVi 1.

10. What is your spirit animal?

I would say a sheep.

11. How does college senior Christina Wakefield differ from high school senior Christina Wakefield?

I’m kind of the same as in high school, but I’m more driven and hardworking and I know kind of the overarching goals that I want to achieve now rather than back in the high school days. Even since the injury I’ve changed as a person and I’m kind of more of a happier, going with the flow type person instead of always being so serious.

12. What’s your favorite BU memory?

I just remember freshman year when I scored against Boston College. It was when we beat them and it was, I think one of the biggest memories that I will ever remember and my whole family [will remember].

13. Besides soccer, what other sports do you like?

I love ski-racing and that’s what I used to do growing up. I mean, I’ve never really been good at any other sport so that was kind of the best one. But I liked lacrosse, football, I like all those.

14. You study psychology, where do you want that to take you in the future?

I would love to go into counseling with women or children and help them out through either domestic violence or family situations. Just what happened in my experience with my friends and just knowing some people that have been through some stuff, I want to be able to be there and help people, coach people through different situations to better their life.

15. What is your favorite thing about soccer?

I love the competitive environment.

16. Who is your funniest teammate?

Emma Heil.

17. What’s the most random fact that you know about anything?

You know when you peel a clementine, there’s white stuff on it? What is that called, that white stuff? … It’s called pith.

18. Pumpkin picking or apple picking?

[I] love pumpkin picking. Pumpkin picking hardcore.

19. What’s your favorite halloween costume you ever wore?

Last year with my team, my whole grade dressed up as Noah’s Ark. I was dressed up as a sheep, so I took white balloons, glued them all over my face, all over my body. That was my favorite halloween costume.

20. When you graduate, what’s the one thing you’re going to miss the most about BU?

My friends. I think the environment, that I’m here with them, living with them, seeing them every single day, seeing their happy faces and being able to laugh.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article had minor grammatical errors that detracted from Wakefield’s answers. The current version reflects these changes.