Core curriculum students to hold first annual talent revue

Core curriculum students and professors will take some time out of their busy academic schedules tonight to perform in the first College of Arts and Sciences talent revue.

The idea came about after Kristen Pounds, a College of Communication junior who transferred after completing her core curriculum in CAS, and Joe Sosnoff, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, realized they wanted to take the end-of-the-year core banquet and make it into something else.

‘Usually, at the end of core curriculum we throw a big banquet,’ she said. ‘As part of our ceremony there is entertainment, and Joe and I were both part of this debacle.’

Pounds said she received an email from CAS Core Curriculum Dean James Johnson over the summer asking if she thought they should make the banquet into more of an event. Pounds thought it was a good idea, especially because CAS holds so few events over the year.

‘CAS doesn’t really have that many events,’ she said. ‘COM has speakers all the time. CAS is not as unified.’

‘Basically this is an opportunity for students to show their talents, let students get to know Core students, students and faculty,’ said Sonia Pastuhov-Pastein, a program coordinator at Core Curriculum. The revue is a way for these groups to meet outside of the classroom setting, she added.

Performers in the revue include the Israeli a capella group Kol Echad, a blues quartet Fish Worship and an act called ‘Four Out of Five Dentists,’ according to the revue’s schedule of events. The show is split into four categories, including an overture, spoken word, classical themes and Americana.

‘There will be surprise performances by deans and professors,’ the schedule said, ‘including a blues harmonica, Persian poetry reading, piano boogie-woogie and guitar playing.’

A performer in a blues quartet, CAS Associate Dean Loren Samons said his group knows the blues, just not the musical kind. He added how his group plans to be the kind of group every talent show has to have.

‘It is sort of a requirement that every talent revue has one act that causes everyone to ask the question ‘What is their talent?” Samons said. ‘We plan to be that act.

‘As long as we provide the baseline above which all others can perform, we will have fulfilled our mission,’ he added.

Samons will be performing along with Johnson, who will be the lead guitarist for the quartet. Samons said they thought this revue would be a good idea because as professors, they are always looking for places in which to perform.

Professor Alan Marscher said he will be performing a protest song by Phil Ochs entitled ‘I’m Going to Say It Now.’ Marscher said he has altered the song to incorporate elements about BU. He said the song would include current topics such as the construction noise and the guest policy.

Marscher said he hopes a lot of people attend the event and joked how it might be hard to get in because of his massive fan following of his impressive talent.

Samons said he also hopes there will be a good crowd, saying he noticed a lot of students and faculty members have expressed interest in attending.

‘I think a fair number of students and faculty will show up,’ he said. ‘I’ve had people mention it to me over the last couple of days.’

The event, which is free and open to all students and faculty members, will take place tonight in the Tsai Performance Center Auditorium from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

‘We guarantee no one will feel cheated at the price,’ Samons quipped.