BU students stabbed with bottles and ax

Two Boston University students suffered wounds after being stabbed with beer bottles and an ax in Allston early yesterday morning.

Between 15 and 20 young Asian and Hispanic men clad in ‘dark and red clothing’ ‘suddenly set upon the students as they walked past 38 Linden St.,’ according to Boston police officer John Boyle.

Police found the victims at the corner of Farrington Avenue and Harvard Avenue in Allston, Boyle said.

One victim was stabbed in the back with what witnesses described as a small ax and had facial wounds from beer bottles that were broken on his face, Boyle said. The other victim had wounds above his eye from beer bottles.

Both victims were taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital where doctors classified their injuries as serious but not life threatening, Boyle said.

The student stabbed with the ax received stitches in his back and elbow, according to Boston University spokesman Kevin Carleton. Both students were treated and released.

Both Boyle and Carleton declined to give the names of the students.

Following the attack, witnesses saw the suspects running into 38 Linden St., according to Boyle. Police reported to the building following the attack, where they observed people fitting witnesses’ descriptions of the attackers.

Police arrested Juan Montesinos, 23, of Dorchester, Sarik Chea, 22, of Brighton, Sophal Keo, 20, of Lynn, and a juvenile, whose name was not released. The four will be arraigned today in Brighton District Court.

Whether the attack was gang-related is ‘under investigation,’ Boyle said.

Carleton said he was not aware of any similar attacks on BU students.

He said the students were acting safely by traveling in a pair instead of separately.

‘In this case you had two students who were walking together, which is one of the more prudent ways of behaving when you’re on the street at night,’ Carleton said.

‘Is there any way to prevent random violence on the street? No, other than avoiding being on the street, and that’s not really practical,’ he said.

He added, however, that the attack acts as a reminder to students of the hazards present near the BU campus.

‘It does serve as a good reminder of the potential risks that are to be found in an urban environment,’ Carleton said.