Meet the new politics, same as the old politics.

I understand the disappointment expressed in Brendan Cavalier’s article on Tuesday, possibly more than anyone. However, he has unfairly laid the blame. Ethan Clay and the True Board have been doing their best, but they have to work within a system made up of disinterested students and a quasi-authoritarian regime.

Much like real world politics, the student government might be little more than an exercise in frustration. Don’t forget who we’re dealing with here. As our representatives, the True board has to deal with Chancellor as the final decision-maker. However, despite our desire to think so, Chancellor Silber hasn’t pulled a fast one on us, but is acting with the predictable slowness of any bureaucrat or politician. To accomplish anything, Clay, True and even BU Free have been forced to play Silber’s political game. We’ve coughed up all those “pleases” and “thank you’s” that make a person cringe. In our letter to the editor the other day, we urged students to do the same: play their game. Is it sick and wrong and really irritating? Yeah, but welcome to the real world.

So I guess Mr. Cavalier took the blue pill, and is still living in dreamland. Tell me, what could Clay or BU Free have done? I suggest anyone try throwing anything back in Silber’s face some time… Let me know that goes.

Don’t excuse yourselves so easily. As president of BU Free, I can assure you that the guest policy is not, “the one goal the students truly care about.” It wasn’t even the main cause of the True Slate last year. (Nor is it now, as they work on campaigns like minority enrollment, cable and 24-hour study lounges.) The irony of BU is nicely demonstrated by Mr. Cavalier, who so stoutly calls for more changes and, I assume, receives our update emails, but of course didn’t show for any BU Free meetings. Just like the rest of BU, I’m certain he had a nice excuse to avoid taking any real action.

So stop complaining! We know that these guest policy changes are miniscule, but they ARE building blocks. You read it here: they tossed us a bone with these changes, and we’re still hungry. Nonetheless, we need to take what we’ve got and make it work within this system, or we will never get anywhere. Voice your complaints, but aim them the right way.

Believe me, there is no grand conspiracy here. President Clay occasionally dances at the hockey games for the same reason he ran for office: he loves BU and wants to see it at its best. And think about it, have you ever seen the Chancellor sporting the red and white rink-side? Doubtful. Now to play another of his games, a quote from Euripides: “Slight not what’s near through aiming at what’s far.” If we keep up our efforts, these lame changes will only be a first step towards a better policy, and a better BU.

Emily Hemphill President, BU Free CAS, happily ’03

(Quote Available Online: http://www.hillwatch.com/politicalquotes/PoliticalQuotesHome.htm) my phone: 617-838-4782, email: emhemphill@hotmail.com