BU’s ABC’s, easy as 1, 2, 3

Discovering Boston University as a freshman can be a difficult task, especially with such a large campus. To help with the situation, here’s a list of ABC’s with important places and events around campus that make the life of a BU student an eventful one:

AGGANIS ARENA, JOHN HANCOCK STUDENT VILLAGE

Named for Harry Agganis – a former Red Sox first baseman who graduated from BU in 1954 and died of a pulmonary embolism at 25 – this brand-new 290,000 square-foot venue will host sporting events as well as various other events and concerts. The Terriers’ new home features a hockey and basketball arena which will seat 6,300 fans for hockey and 7,200 for basketball. www.agannisarena.com

BEANPOT

This four-team hockey tournament held on the first two Mondays in February determines which Boston school – BU, Boston College, Northeastern University or Harvard College – gets the city’s hockey bragging rights for the year. BU has won the Beanpot a record 25 times. This year, the Terriers will look to avenge last year’s 2-1 overtime loss to BC at the FleetCenter.

COFFEE AND CONVERSATION

Join Dean of Students and self-proclaimed caffeine addict Kenneth Elmore for his weekly open “Coffee and Conversation” meeting. www.bu.edu/dos

DANCE MARATHON

Although it is one of BU’s newer traditions, Dance Marathon has quickly become a favorite event of the student body. Last year more than 1,000 students participated in the all-night dance-a-thon as dancers, moralers and sponsors raised more than $5,000 for Camp Heartland and the Elizabeth Glaser Foundation. This event is a great way to get involved on campus and support a good cause.

ESPRESSO ROYALE

Located across from Marsh Chapel on Commonwealth Ave., this quaint coffee shop is the perfect place to grab a quick cup of coffee before your 9 a.m. class or study when the silence in the library becomes too deafening. It’s open until midnight every night, so don’t worry about getting kicked out before you’re done with your calculus homework. But don’t forget your wallet; Espresso Royale does not accept convenience points.

THEFACEBOOK.COM

This Friendster-for-the-college-crowd website (www.thefacebook.com) was introduced to BU late last spring and has already become a favorite student social tool. Use your BU email address to sign up for a free account, then upload your picture, specify your courses and link to your friends. Use the facebook to find people who share similar interests with you, find out the name of the cute guy in your history lecture or just to procrastinate.

GEORGE SHERMAN UNION

Sure, everybody knows that the GSU is home to Aesop’s Bagels, Jamba Juice, Starbucks and Cranberry Farms, but that’s just the main floor. With a little exploration you’ll find that the Terrier Card Office and the Student Union Office are in the basement. Parking Services is on the second floor and Dean Elmore’s office is on the third floor. www.bu.edu/gsu

HILLEL HOUSE

Located at 217 Bay State Road, the brand new Florence and Chafetz Hillel House is the home base for one of the largest student organizations at BU and is scheduled to open this month. Besides offering a library, cable TV and extensive graduate and career resources, many say the kosher dining hall has the best food on campus. www.bu.edu/hillel

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Although it is tucked away behind Warren Towers at 111 Cummington St., the Office of Information Technology is one of the most important places on campus. This office is charged with monitoring and maintaining the BU network. Go here to use a computer in the extensive lab, print something out or beg for assistance after your computer crashes the night before your English paper is due. www.bu.edu/oit

J.P. LICKS

This ice cream parlor, with many locations around Boston, is consistently named in Boston Magazine’s “Best of Boston” awards for its homemade ice cream and wide variety of flavors. Visit the one on Newbury Street to keep your energy up after a long day of studying – or shopping.

KENMORE SQUARE

Located past the School of Management and 575 Commonwealth Ave. (commonly known as The HoJo) at the east of campus, this gridlocked gateway to downtown Boston will remind you why your parents always said to look both ways before crossing the street. Home to Fenway Park, Blockbuster, Bertucci’s and Barnes ‘ Noble, Kenmore also plays gracious host to small-scale riots after the Red Sox’ and the Patriots’ big wins.

LANSDOWNE STREET

Lansdowne Street, located just behind Fenway Park, is a lively strip full of clubs, sports bars and restaurants. Frequented by BU students, the area can be especially fun after Red Sox home games.

MUGAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY

Located adjacent to the GSU on Commonwealth Avenue, this seven-floor library has ample places to sit in a quiet corner and study as well as more than two million books. During exam periods it remains open 24 hours a day. www.bu.edu/library

NEWMAN HOUSE

The Newman House, located at 207 Bay State Road, is home to the Catholic Center at BU. Planning retreats and hosting dinners are just some of the services this group provides for the Catholic Community at BU. www.bu.edu/catholic

ORIENTATION AND OFF-CAMPUS SERVICES

After you get sick of living on campus and become ready to venture out on your own, visit the Orientation and Off-Campus Services. Located on the fourth floor of the GSU, this office can help you find a realtor or some local apartment listings. www.bu.edu/orientation

PARDEE LIBRARY, SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT

This two-story library, located on the second floor of SMG, is extremely luxurious, just like the rest of the building. It offers comfortable chairs, study carols and wireless internet.

QUICKIE JOBS

Visit Quickie Jobs, located above the housing office on the second floor of 881 Commonwealth Ave., if you’re looking for some extra money. Browse the extensive job listings, which include jobs from babysitting to yard work. Pick one that fits in the best with your schedule to make some fast cash for the weekend. www.bu.edu/studentlink

RUSH

Although “Greek life” isn’t a huge part of the social scene, BU recognizes 11 sororities and 5 fraternities that recruit new members at the beginning of each semester. The fraternity rush periods are at the beginning of both semesters and are somewhat informal and open to all classes. Sorority rush periods are open to sophomores and juniors during the fall and freshman in the spring. people.bu.edu/gogreek

STUDENT ACTIVITIES OFFICE

Located on the second floor of the GSU, this office forms the central network for student groups all over campus. Visit the office to browse groups to get involved with on campus and visit www.bu.edu/sao to look at the monthly calendar of student activities.

T. ANTHONY’S

This favorite student hangout, located on Commonwealth Avenue, right across from West Campus, is always packed on Friday and Saturday nights from 1 a.m. until close at 3 a.m. as students make their way back to the dorms.

UNION

After a conflict-ridden 2003-04 year, the Student Union, the student governing organization at BU, looks to become a force on campus. This year, Vice President Jon Marker takes over, at least temporarily, after elected president Deon Provost resigned over the summer. www.bu.edu/union

VILLAGE

Although the Student Village is currently only comprised of one dorm that houses juniors and seniors, it will soon become the center of student life at BU. As the construction progresses, the John Hancock Student Village will be home to four residence halls at 10 Buick St., Aggannis Area, a fitness center including a pool and squash courts, and a theater. www.agannisarena.com

WTBU

This radio station, which can be found at 89.3 FM, 640 AM or online at wtburadio.org, is managed and staffed completely by Boston University students. Listen for unique music, school closings, local news and Terrier athletic events. www.wtburadio.org

(IMAGE) X-PRESS

OK, so we cheated a little. Located directly underneath Warren Towers on Commonwealth Ave., this is where you can go to use convenience points to quickly photocopy in large quantities.

YANKEES vs. RED SOX

The rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, which some consider the best rivalry in sports, takes place adjacent to campus at Fenway Park. If you can’t manage to score tickets to a game, at least visit Kenmore Square while the Yankees are in town just to experience the atmosphere that overtakes Boston as the home team attempts to take down the “Evil Empire.”

ZISKIND LOUNGE

The lounge on the second floor of the GSU offers a quiet, but not perfectly silent, place to study when the main floor gets too noisy and distracting.