Cable in Student Village part of test, taken away after one day

Students moving into the Student Residences at 10 Buick St. Monday discovered their rooms were equipped with cable. Any joy was short-lived however, as the plug was pulled on Tuesday.

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said the cable channels were part of a test that was supposed to be finished before students arrived on campus.

“What folks saw was part of our analysis,” he said Tuesday.

Numerous students reporting finding CNN, Discovery and TNT channels working in their rooms during early move-in.

Elmore said the channels were part of tests performed on an undisclosed number of rooms in the Village.

Elmore said the 11-member cable committee created last semester has passed on its recommendations to President ad interim Aram Chobanian, who will make the final decision.

The committee, composed of six administrators and five students, held meetings last semester and over the summer.

Elmore said he has also kept in contact with Chobanian over the summer regarding the issue.

The cable committee is finishing up contracts with Comcast and working out the final details regarding wiring the campus, acting Student Union President Jon Marker said Monday.

Comcast spokesman Marc Goodman confirmed in April that the cable company was working with BU.