From the Editor’s Desk: Unpack, unwind, then settle in with the crossword

As your parents organize your desk, hang up your clothes and make your bed, chances are you might have a few spare minutes to sit back and realize what you’re about to do.

For some people, the defining moment will come when that car pulls away from Warren Towers or West Campus – Mom waving out one window while wiping a tear, maybe a younger brother or sister sitting in the backseat and picturing the silence awaiting them at home.

For me, that ride up the Warren Towers escalator exactly three years ago was the strangest trip of my life. It was as if someone took a lot of excitement and added a dash of fear and confusion. The only people I knew within 300 miles were driving away and I was headed upstairs to sleep eight feet away from a complete stranger.

Eventually, the fear went away and the excitement took over. And as your families drive away this weekend, we at The Daily Free Press hope that at some point in your hectic daily schedule, you will find a few minutes to pick up our newspaper. On your way to the crossword puzzle during that class you should be paying attention to, we hope you take a few minutes to stay up to date on the news that impacts BU students.

If you start at the front, you can catch up on news surrounding the seemingly never-ending chase for on-campus cable or the bare-knuckled fight for the White House. Start at the back and follow your favorite Terriers as they take to the grass, ice or hardwood. Flip to the middle to become part of countless debates on university issues and have your voice heard on our editorial pages. Mondays will give you an in-depth look at the Terriers with our expanded sports coverage, Tuesdays will bring you the latest science news affecting students, Wednesdays will feature a spotlight on a prominent BU person, place or thing and Friday is the best time to get your business fix with our InBusiness section. And don’t forget the Thursday edition, when we showcase the latest arts and entertainment buzz in The Muse.

Not only do we invite you to read The Daily Free Press on, well, a daily basis, but we urge you to tell us what you think. Buried away in the corner of a constantly-lit office at 842 Commonwealth Ave. is a group of dedicated students working into the night to bring the news to a campus larger than many of your hometowns. But we are always looking for ways to better inform students.

Write a letter, make a phone call or come in and join the team. Whether you want to see your opinion voiced on the editorial page or your byline at the top of a frontpage story, you have come to the right place.

So in between your late-night CampCo runs and your first trip to the not-so-sandy BU Beach, take a minute to pick up a newspaper and learn about your new home.

And when you’re done, let us know what you think. Even if all you want is a bigger crossword puzzle.

Steve Moore, a senior in the College of Communication, is the editor of The Daily Free Press