Staff Editorial: A chance for change

As a member of the Boston University class of 2008, you are matriculating at a school immersed in a sea of change. Our president of 33 years, John Silber, resigned last summer and his supposed replacement, former NASA administrator Daniel Goldin, never got the chance to get his feet wet. In addition, the university has also been plagued by the ever-changing Student Union, which seems to restructure itself as often as new construction projects pop up on campus. The only thing that’s stayed the same is everyone’s favorite complaint: BU students are too apathetic.

With all the changes going on at BU, now is the perfect time to ignore the stereotype of the apathetic BU student and get involved. And the new freshmen have the most time to break that stereotype with a full four years ahead of you at Boston University. So take one of the hundreds of days you have on campus and do something – like sending an email to President ad interim Aram Chobanian.

Chobanian has said already that his main goal during his short term is to listen to students’ concerns – a deal he has more than lived up to already. Chobanian has organized breakfasts for randomly selected students so they can voice their concerns, and he quickly responds to student inquiries. The former School of Medicine dean seems to have listened to students more in his eight months as president than Silber did in 33 years. So talk to Chobanian and hope that the ongoing presidential search turns up a candidate as student-friendly as he is.

While here, act like a college student and speak your mind. Speak your mind to the one organization on campus devoted to being our contact to the administration – the Student Union. Despite its problems, the Union is one of the best ways to help get your concerns brought to administrators. Run for senator or get involved with the Progamming Council, the arm of the Union that organizes on-campus events for the BU community. While the Union has organized movie screenings and has brought comedians Jim Breuer, Tracy Morgan and Margaret Cho to campus, there is always room for more. Even simply attending Union meetings is a great way to get involved. The meetings are open to the entire BU community, so whether you go to voice your displeasure or join the team, the meetings are the best way to make yourself heard on campus issues.

In recent semesters, the Union has proven that student involvement can yield results. After finally opening a 24-hour study lounge and leading the way to minor changes in the infamous Guest Policy, the Union looks like it may be on the verge of bringing cable to the Charles River Campus and sending BU into the 21st century. While a trial run that took place in the Student Residences at 10 Buick St. might be nothing more than a moral victory for now, this small test is a sign that when students are not apathetic they can get the BU administration to react to their concerns.

But remember, cable and the Guest Policy are not the only two issues students’ voices can have an impact on. Upset with the lack of recycling on campus? Then do something about it. Want better food in the dining halls? Say something. Want tuition lowered so it’s easier to attend BU? Keep dreaming. But regardless, take your four years here as a chance to improve the social and academic lives of our generation and of future ones.

One of the most glaring physical changes at BU over the past few years has been the buildings that have risen out of the ground between Buick St. and Harry Agganis Way. There, you’ll soon be able to swim laps, pump iron and watch hockey pucks flying through the air at top speeds.

But take the hint: change is welcome all over campus, and you are now the catalyst.