Bow Wow pays Terriers a fetching BU Central visit

Bow Wow, the rapper formerly known as Lil’ Bow Wow, made an appearance at BU Central Wednesday evening to promote his new album to nearly 175 students, many of whom said they think the rapper’s star is fading.

Free posters were provided, and music from his new album ‘New Jack City II’ blared from speakers. Bow Wow was scheduled to appear at 5:45 p.m., but he arrived an hour late due to traffic from the Boston Red Sox game.

‘I love being in Boston,’ Bow Wow said to a screaming crowd, posing for photographs for 15 minutes before flashing a peace sign and ducking out the back door.

Many students said they were not diehard Bow Wow fans, and a few said they had not heard music from his new album, which features collaborations with T. Pain and T.I.

College of Arts and Sciences senior Maria Zachariadis said she remembers buying Bow Wow’s first album when she was 13 years old.

‘I don’t really listen to him anymore,’ Zachariadis said. ‘It’s just fun to meet celebrities.’

College of Communication freshman Andrea Aldana said she does not listen to Bow Wow much anymore, either.

‘But he’s cute,’ Aldana said. ‘In my eyes, he’s still Lil’ Bow Wow.’

School of Management junior Brendan White found out about the event through Facebook, and decided to attend ‘just for kicks,’ he said

‘Something funny before I go to [lacrosse] practice,’ White said.

Although Bow Wow just released a new album and will star in the upcoming movie ‘Hurricane Season,’ many said they think he is no longer prevalent.’

CAS freshman Mary Ann Boyd said she used to listen to Bow Wow in the car on the way to school.

‘He is less popular because he was gone for such a long time,” Boyd said.

College of General Studies sophomore Arielle Crayton attributes his diminished popularity to a changing audience.’

‘He is trying to be older than he is,’ Crayton said. ‘He doesn’t need to swear to sell music.’

Bay State College student Anthony Vauhn, who said he heard about Bow Wow’s appearance from a friend, said he also thinks Bow Wow’s popularity has diminished.

‘His fame is less than it was because his fans have gotten older, and he hasn’t been able to keep up with them,’ Vauhn said.

Although the rapper generated a lot of buzz, many students said they were unsatisfied with Bow Wow’s brief appearance.’

SMG senior Jean Yun said she came to get a photograph with the rapper, but was thrown into one with three other girls she did not know.’

‘He didn’t even put his arms around me,’ she said.

SMG sophomore Joe Boyd, who organized the event through his connections as a Sony Music Entertainment College Representative, said this was not his first time working with Bow Wow, but it was his most successful.

‘ ‘It was a great turnout and event in general,’ Joe Boyd said.

Joe Boyd said he hopes Bow Wow’s appearance will motivate other musicians to make a stop at Boston Univerity while they are in Boston.’

‘This will be the beginning of more popular artists,’ Joe Boyd said.