Welcome Back Weekend: Students attend laser show, movie screenings

With over 150 Boston University students sprawled out across the grassy beach behind Marsh Chapel Saturday, eyes fixed to a laser show synchronized to classic rock music, the scene easily resembled one from the 60s-only with better hygiene and less drugs.

The laser show and Friday night movie screening were part of the BU Programming Council’s effort to welcome students back to campus. The movie night on Nikerson Field included showings of ‘I Love You, Man’ and ‘The Proposal.’

Freshmen said the activities helped them integrate into BU’s campus. College of Communication freshman Greg Fleming said he thought attending the laser show was a good way to meet new people.

‘I think it’s a great way for everyone to have a great time on the weekend,’ he said. ‘It was a great way to try something new.’

But Fleming said he had mixed feelings about the show overall.

‘I thought it was really cool at first,’ he said. ‘[But] they started playing some of the songs twice and at the end it kind of got boring so we left early.’

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Emma Briars said she agreed ‘- the laser show repeated songs and lacked originality.

‘We didn’t really watch much of it,’ Briari said. ‘Other stuff we’ve been to has been cool but it’s just not for me.’

But overall, students said the show was a good ending to welcome back week.

‘You don’t normally get to go to a laser light show,’ Fleming said.

‘ Varuna Rao, a College of Engineering freshman, said she thought the laser show was original.

‘I haven’t seen something like this before, so it was good!’ Rao said.

BU Programming Council members said they had been planning the show for a long time, and host similar events yearly.

‘[PC] has a lot of events,’ COM senior and PC Ads Manager Logan Lumm said. ‘We do a lot of stuff all across the year.’

Though she said being a member of the Council is a lot of work, she enjoys some perks too.

‘ ‘The best part of the job is that you get to see the events,’ Lumm said.

While a large number of the students in attendance were freshman, many upperclassmen said they enjoyed the event as well.’

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences junior Hillary Reuter said gatherings like the laser show are great for freshmen eager to make friends.

‘The laser show was awesome,’ Reuter said. ‘[Freshmen] should always give [these events] a try. If they don’t like it, they can leave. But more likely than not, they’ll love it.’

1. The first paragraph of this article is well written the rest is horrible. There is no form or connection between quotes and insults an amazing event. The article failed to record an accurate amount of attendees (150 is way to conservative) nor does it mention the presence of the world’s largest laser. I went with a bunch of my friends and we loved it