Welcoming Class of 2015, one FB member at a time

Just one year removed from the busy months spanning the college application process and high school graduation, Boston University freshman Megan Richmond is one of many BU students lending a helping hand to the incoming freshman class through Facebook.
“I want the incoming students to feel as comfortable as possible coming in for their freshman year,” Richmond, a Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman, said.
“In high school, it was the coolest thing ever to know someone who was already in college, one that was willing to answer all your questions.”
BU Admissions staff set up the Class of 2015 Facebook group, which as of yesterday had 326 members, consisting mostly of students admitted early decision, along with some current students who hope to make the admitted students’ transitions to college a little easier.
The Facebook group’s discussion board serves as a forum for incoming freshmen to raise any questions, concerns or thoughts they have before coming to BU. Comments range from general inquiries about the best dorms to more specific questions about majors and colleges.
Richmond has been quick to help with any of the incoming students’ questions or concerns. She added the Facebook group provides new students with an accurate depiction of life at BU.
“First of all, the profile picture is of Rhett, which is perfect. There are videos posted all about the residence halls,” she said. “It’s important for them to be exposed to that information.”
Some incoming freshmen use the Facebook group to find a roommate, posting their likes and dislikes, personal habits and what they are seeking in a roommate.
High school senior Hannah Stewart-Saeed of New Jersey, who was admitted to BU as an early decision, said she felt more comfortable choosing her own roommate, rather than having one assigned to her randomly by BU Housing.
“I like the idea of meeting a roommate over Facebook because you have the opportunity to talk and consider how well you would get along sharing a room together,” Stewart-Saeed said. “It provides a little more security than being paired up randomly.”
College of Arts and Sciences freshman Krissy King of Pittsburgh agreed that Facebook could be a useful tool in finding a roommate for freshman year.
“I think it’s better than leaving it up to fate because I know of several students this year who are less than thrilled with their randomly assigned roomies,” said King, who chose her roommate online after discovering that they shared many of the same interests.
King said that before coming to BU, she searched Facebook and RoomSurf.com, which she describes as “eHarmony for roommates.”
“You take a survey on your preferences and get matched up with compatible students, and then you can send messages to your matches to get to know them better,” King said.
One student, a College of General Studies freshman who preferred to remain anonymous, warned that Facebook and online profiles might not be the best source to determine if two people would be compatible.
“My roommate and I got along great when we talked over the summer, but after living together for a long time in a small space, tensions grew and now we can hardly even stand to be in the same room,” she said.
While she regreted her personal roommate decision, she said she did not wish she had been given a roommate randomly.
“Although I don’t believe this method guarantees a perfect roommate match, it is still nice to be able to choose what kind of person you are going to live with,” she said.