BU Bridge restoration stymies traffic, promises new bicycle, car lanes

Students walking between Boston University’s West and Central campus for the first time since returning from winter break may have noticed an increase in traffic and an unsightly white tarp as they tried to cross the BU Bridge.

Spanning the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge, the BU Bridge is undergoing construction that will reinforce the structure of the bridge and accommodate two new bike lanes.

The bridge, originally named the Cotton Farm Bridge, opened in 1928 but was renamed for BU in 1949, and is famous for being the only place in America where a plane can simultaneously fly over a car driving over a boat.

According to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation website, the primary goals of the construction project are “to restore the bridge’s structural integrity and enhance accessibility,” while maintaining the bridge’s historic elements.

The construction will include a full deck replacement, the restoration of the downstream sidewalk and an environmentally friendly drainage system.

According to a Jan. 10 article on MassLive.com, the 2007 collapse of a bridge in Minnesota shed light on structurally deficient bridges across the nation and led to the allocation of $3 billion from Accelerated Bridge Program to speed up the repair of bridges over eight years.

The state Department of Transportation defines structurally deficient bridges as bridges that “have undergone some measurable level of deterioration to their decks, superstructures and/or substructures,” according to the article.

Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration told MassLive that 68 out of 543 structurally deficient bridges had been repaired since June 2008.

In a 2009 presentation, Patrick’s administration said they hope the bridge renovations will stimulate economic development and job creation, as well as save money for the Bay State.

Adam Hurtubise, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, told The Boston Globe on Jan. 17 the reduction of lanes from four to two is temporary.

Upon completion, there will be three vehicle traffic lanes total, and two lanes will exit the bridge and one will enter in each direction.