BPD, Menino warn of severe temperatures as students struggle with cold

Despite single digit temperatures and a cold weather advisory issued by the Boston Police Department, students braved the chill to go about their normal activities on Monday.

Weather.com predicted a high temperature of 10 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of 3 F with temperatures falling into the negatives once the wind chill factor was taken into account.

The advisory, posted on Jan. 23 warned readers that “the next few days may be some of the coldest this region has seen in years.”

“Mayor Thomas M. Menino wants to remind residents to take the necessary precautions in anticipation of the severely cold weather,” the advisory said.

The advisory instructed people to layer their clothing and stay indoors whenever possible in order to avoid injuries from the cold.

“Wear a hat and cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs,” the advisory said.

“Wear several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. Use things like thermal underwear, undershirts, track suits, sweaters, snowsuits, boots, hats, gloves and scarves. Be sure that your outer layer is tightly woven and windproof.”

BPD also provided Bostonians with several tips to ensure against frostbite, and perhaps an ailment less often associated with cold weather, dehydration.

“Dehydration occurs more quickly in cold, dry weather,” warns the advisory. “Be sure to keep yourself well hydrated, especially if you are exerting yourself.”

BPD spokesman David Estrada said that police have yet to receive any reports of people suffering from the cold.

“There haven’t been any reported cases of frostbite coming from local hospitals,” Estrada said.

Estrada said in addition to the advisory, Boston police are taking measures to ensure that the homeless of the city do not suffer the worst of the cold.

“We watch for homeless individuals who may not have a place to go,” he said. “Officers are instructed to keep blankets in the back of their cruisers to offer to any homeless they see outside.”

Estrada said when temperatures drop to extreme lows as they have over the past 24 hours, officers are also instructed to offer the homeless rides to local shelters so they can have a warm place to spend the night.

“In attempting to bring as many homeless people to shelters as possible, it’s not overcrowding that is the biggest issue,” Estrada said. “It’s an issue of not being able to force people to go, but we do our best.”

The Boston Emergency Shelter Commission also follows protocol to ensure that as many homeless people as possible make their way to shelters when temperatures drop.

These measures include extending the operating hours of local homeless shelters, increasing police patrols, and offering health evaluations to those who refuse transport to homeless shelters.

The BESC takes these measures “as part of a citywide effort to respond proactively to the health and well being of all residents and visitors during extreme winter conditions,” according to the organization’s mission statement.

Despite the low temperatures, students said the weather was not a major deterrent from completing any of their normal daily activities, although they acknowledged that the cold was unusual.

“It definitely felt different today,” said College of Arts and Sciences freshman Philip Schmiege. “I bundled up more than normal, I didn’t hear about any special advisory though.”

College of Engineering sophomore Traci Kent said the temperature was much colder when she went to work at 5:45 a.m.

“It was freezing when I went to work this morning,” she said. “I don’t think it will affect my plans but I definitely felt it. The wind on your face really stings.”

1. MENINO NEEDS TO GO

Menino doesn’t do anything. He’s all about photo ops and placing his name on signs all over the city. what a great way to waste tax dollars and look stupid the whole time. he’s a worthless politician who does NOTHING!!!