Campus, City, News

Students apply in record-breaking numbers to BU’s Class of 2015

Competition for a spot in the Boston University Class of 2015 has increased as a record number of students have applied this year to BU and numerous other universities throughout the country.

The total number of applicants for the BU class of 2015 was 41,734, a 9 percent increase from last year’s 38,275 applications. The number of international applicants rose as well from 4,901 last year to 5,850 this year.

In addition, the average SAT score rose from 1874 to 1896 resulting in a more highly competitive applicant pool.

“We continue to have increasing numbers of international students, increasing numbers of underrepresented minorities applying…African-American and Hispanic, Latino students,” said BU Spokesman Colin Riley.

“It’s a continuing example of the fact that students are very interested in studying at Boston University,” Riley said. “It reinforces the excellence in our programs to continue to have outstanding applicants here apply in record numbers.”

The application surge is attributable to the fact that students are doing a good job in their search for a suitable college and are recognizing what they need to do to be prepared, Riley said.

While BU’s Office of Admissions is still early in the process of accepting applicants, the admission rate will go down due to the increase in applications, he said.

“The professional staff there [BU Admissions] review every application and looks at every applicant in a holistic way,” Riley said. “They are going to offer admission to those students  they feel are a good fit with the university, and will succeed here, and will bring something with them as far as contributing to their education and the education of others here.”

Students at BU have differing views on the surge of applicants.

“I heard somewhere that the job market in Boston is the fastest growing so that might make people want to apply here and therefore think they can get more jobs here,” said Laura Nelson, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore. “I think maybe just the location is drawing people, which is actually surprising to me because the tuition price has risen.”

“It might also be the competition is causing people to send in more college applications so maybe it’s just that people are applying to more colleges than they were before,” she said.

“I feel like more people are deciding to stay closer to home,” said CAS sophomore  Akshaya Krishnaswamy. “So I think a lot more people from New England are probably applying, and I definitely think that more people are flocking towards New England schools in general just because there are so many here.”

Another attraction to BU is the promise of an urban campus.

“Specifically for BU, I think people are probably really attracted to city life because you get the urban experience but you also get the experience of a campus too,” Krishnaswamy said.

1. So does that make us 3rd or 4th most applied to? Northeastern and NYU are 1st and 2nd