BU Habitat chapter reaches fundraising goal

For the past three years, Boston University’s Habitat for Humanity has been raising the roof with its efforts to reach its goal of raising $50,000.

After countless fundraisers, events and a copious amount of hard work, the BU chapter celebrated its goal and the completion of the BU Habitat House on Monday night at the Photonics Center.

John Batoha, a College of Arts and Sciences senior and the president of the BU chapter, opened the meeting by giving an overview of the history of the organization and their most recent achievement, the completion of a BU Habitat for Humanity House, which will go to a homeless family

“This is a project we’ve been working for the last three years,” Batoha said. “We had many problems, but eventually managed to sustain it. I am very proud of being a small part of it.”

Batoha then introduced the trip coordinator Marshall Schurtz, a CAS sophomore, who highlighted how the BU chapter reached its goal.

“I’m involved in many clubs,” Schurtz said. “Being able to raise $50,000 is by far the most amazing thing I’ve managed to accomplish so far.”

Schurtz said the BU chapter takes part in several fundraising activities every year, including cleaning up Agganis Arena and charity events like Raise the Roof, a $5 benefit concert held at BU.

The chapter also coordinates Sleep Out, a fundraiser where people sleep in handmade cardboard shelters in Marsh plaza for three days, bringing homelessness and poverty housing right before the eyes of hundreds of students.

Donations played a huge part in the creation of the BU Habitat House, Schultz said.

Bike and Build, a nonprofit organization that combines biking with fundraising for affordable housing, contributed about $12,000 and the State Farm Insurance contributed another $10,000, Schultz said.

Founded by Millard and Linda Fuller in 1976, Habitat for Humanity International aims to provide safe, descent and affordable shelter, at a no-interest mortgage to reduce homelessness.

According to the BU Habitat for Humanity website, the campus chapter works with affiliates in the Boston area to eliminate “poverty and homelessness in Boston and around the world.”

Batoha said that homeowners are selected based on three fundamental criteria. The applicants must demonstrate need for adequate shelter, the ability to pay for a Habitat house and the willingness to work with Habitat volunteers.

Professionals supervise the construction of the houses and various donators provide the materials, he said.

“It’s good to know that all the hard work paid off,” said Rebecca Smyth[AN9] , a CAS senior. “Some fundraisers worked better than others, some didn’t. But it was definitely an incredibly fulfilling experience.”

1. AWESOME JOB BU HABITAT!

thanks Alexandros!

2. Alexandros, you seem to be a writer with excellent potential. Keep impressing us.