UMass takes a hit from Patrick’s budget cuts

Following the release of Gov. Deval Patrick’s $30.5 billion budget for the 2012 fiscal year, the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, along with other universities in the system, will lose significant funding, leading to a $54.5 million deficit in their budget for the next year, according to a report by Masslive.

The deficit, also catalyzed by a loss of stimulus money to state universities, has led UMass to cut more than 500 faculty and administrative positions, reduce overtime expenditures and decrease energy and discretionary expenses, according to Masslive.

UMass President Jack Wilson said in addition to making cuts to crucial university facilities, student fees have been increased due to the deficit.

“As stewards of the university, this is certainly not the approach that the trustees, chancellors and I prefer,” Wilson said in a legislative hearing on Tuesday.

“Both the fee increases and the expense reductions were necessary in order to continue to provide a high quality education.”

In his proposed budget, Patrick allotted $429 million to the five-campus university system, the same amount as the previous fiscal year.

The portion of the budget directed toward state universities also includes $11 million to allow state universities to keep out-of-state tuition.

Commissioner of the State Department of Higher Education, Richard Freeland, said that more cuts in funding to state universities could be imminent in a legislative testimony on Tuesday.

“Further cuts in support for our institutions at a time of increasing enrollments can only lead to higher charges to students while jeopardizing program quality,” Freeland said

Over the past fiscal year, 17 state universities have seen increases in their student fees for the current academic year, including Westfield State University and Greenfield Community College and Holyoke Community.

State universities receiving the worst of the cuts in funding could see up to 10 percent cuts in the new fiscal year.

1. Nice article. Very glad to see BU is covering this issue as it impacts our entire state.

I would add one copy edit. In the first paragraph — the budget deficit for the system is $54.5 million, not $54.50. If the deficit were that small, I would cover the cost myself. :>

Thank you again for reporting on this important topic!!