Israeli, Palestinian supporters rally at Marsh Plaza

Members of Boston University's Students for Justice in Palestine display a styrofoam wall in Marsh Plaza on Thursday to protest Israel's construction of a wall around the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Photo by Michael Cummo/DFP Staff.

Just a few feet separated the competing demonstrations on Marsh Plaza, but for the rival groups that crowded in the shadow of the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial statute, their differing messages of peace and human rights might as well have been a world apart.

Hundreds of Boston University students, representing either BU Students for Israel or Students for Justice in Palestine, chanted and waved flags in the cold wind for more than two hours Thursday afternoon.

The rallies, though peaceful, were often tense, with members of both groups pausing at some points to debate the opposition right on the brick sidewalk adjacent to the plaza.

BU Police Department officers stood on the curb of Commonwealth Avenue just in front of the rallies, interrupting every so often to intervene in debates that got too testy.

Students representing SJP held up large pieces of gray Styrofoam, which members said represented the “apartheid wall” bordering Palestinian occupied territory.

Text scrawled on the walls had slogans such as “tear down the wall, free Gaza” and “we want justice, we want peace in Gaza.”

Second-year College of Arts and Sciences Ph.D student and SJP member Ian Chinich said the group was looking to draw student attention to the conflict between Israel and Palestine as part of Israel Apartheid Week.

“We just want people to know and to understand,” Chinich said. “Most Americans never have to experience living under occupation.”

Meanwhile, members and supporters of BUSI gathered further back in Marsh Plaza, holding Israeli flags, singing songs such as “One Day” by musician Matisyahu and having a moment of silence for peace in Israel.

College of Arts and Sciences junior and President of BUSI Rachelle Rubin addressed about 100 BUSI supporters, stressing the importance of peaceful and respectful demonstration.

“Today we gather respectfully here at BU to promote the virtues of truth and tolerance,” Rubin said. “Sadly these values have been overlooked in the past. We are asking to put aside these hostilities.”

Before the rallies officially began at about 2 p.m., BUPD officers were heard asking members of SJP to move further back into Marsh Plaza, so as not to obstruct pedestrians travelling down the sidewalk. SJP complied, and the rally went on peacefully.

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore, who attended the rallies, said he was impressed with the way that the two student groups were able to conduct their respective gatherings with respect for one another’s causes.

“Thank God that students are engaged on issues that they find important to themselves,” Elmore said “I love the fact that there’s a little bit of civic engagement going on.”

CAS junior and Vice President of Hillel House Meggie Wyschogrod said she was pleased with the civility with which the two groups were able to hold their rallies in such close proximity.

“SJP is being very respectful today which we haven’t experienced in the past,” Wyschogrod said. “If it could be like this every day I would be ecstatic.”

Chinich, however, said that while SJP and BUSI were able to share the forum of Marsh Plaza for their rallies, he had received complaints from members of BUSI earlier in the week concerning SJP’s representation of the “apartheid wall.”

“They’re embarrassed about our wall because the real wall is an embarrassment,” Chinich said. “If they’re so concerned about the image of the wall, they should tear the wall down.”

While addressing the crowd of BUSI supporters, Rubin agreed with Chinich that while the two student groups were able to respectfully co-host their rallies, she still felt some contention with SJP.

“We are being demonized for supporting the right of a democratic Jewish state,” she said.

Chinich said that while the BUSI rally had an impressive turnout, he felt that the group’s rally was not an accurate representation of the Jewish community at BU.

“We find that [BUSI] does not represent the broader Jewish community at BU,” Chinich said. “We’re here to talk to the BU students who are Jewish who aren’t necessarily pro-Israeli.”

Some attendees said they came to show their support for the discourse taking place between similar groups on college campuses across the country.

Margot Einstein, of Newton, said she believes it is “crucial to spread awareness” and support for Israel.

“All across America is this Israel Apartheid Week,” she said. “Israel is not an apartheid state.”

Crowds began to disperse at about 4 p.m. as the rallies wound down.

Elmore said that he hopes to see similar rallies taking place in the same peaceful nature at BU in the future.

“What’s wonderful here is I don’t see anybody being violent, I don’t see any vandalism, I don’t see anyone doing harm to anyone,” Elmore said. “This is good old fashioned democracy.”

1. Numbers are slightly incorrect- there were at least 200 Israel supporters and maybe 20 SJP supporters.

• Sorry, looked into that and it turns out my numbers were off. Make that maybe 150 for BUSI and 40-50 for SJP.

2. The Arabs/Iran are building a false Myth.
    They will not be confused with real facts!
    Unfortunately some innocent people (or not?) from the west are joining the false chorus.

By the Israeli law and practice all citizens are:
    Equal by low—–Full political rights—-– Equals in universal human rights ––religious freedom––Citizens express freely––Women equality––Social rights equality–- study on same universities—- sharing the same medical treatment in hospitals- serves as judges and lawyers- play in the same sport clubs–share equally all public infrastructures– and more…..

This is apartheid!!- it should be changed!!!
    It is the call of some so called human rights organization or democratic supporters!

What s the status in Muslim countries?
    *Iran- more than 200 gays have been executed
    *Iran- Teachers were hanged up because teaching Bahai religion.
    *Iran Women low- Virgin women to be executed is raped by a guard ahead execution.
    *All over the Muslim countries: Christians are being persecuted and are under run.
    *Building or repairing of non Muslim shrines is either forbidden or severely restricted
    *Limited woman rights
    * Acceptable honor killing of doters and wife’s
    *People conversing from Islam to other religions may get by low death sentence
    * Political parties are either forbidden or limited.
    *Iran- By low only Shia Muslim cab be president, army chief, judge.

The so called human rights organization or democratic supporters don’t blame, vote resolutions or demonstrate against Muslim countries.
    What is the definition of this behavior? Hypocrite!

3. I read about the Students for Justice in Palestine’s “Apartheid Wall.”

(1) The Palestinians effectively built this wall themselves with a long litany of terroristic violence against Israeli civilians. The security wall is not a Berlin Wall to keep people in who do not wish to be there; it is to keep terrorists from entering Israel and blowing up hospitals, shooting pregnant women in their bellies to kill their unborn babies, and so on.

(2) Anyone who really believes in women’s rights should be aware that Palestinian culture sanctions the “honor killing” of women who “dishonor” their families by being raped. Google on “Palestinian” and “honor killing.”

(3) Israel is the only country in the region in which gay people are not abused or even killed for their sexual orientation. Google on “Palestinian” and “gay” to see how the nice Palestinians treat gay people.

(4) Look up Freedom House’s ratings for Israel (1 political and 2 civil rights on a 1-7 scale with 1 being best) and Palestinian Authority controlled regions (6 political and 6 civil rights). It speaks for itself.