Hockey East quarterfinal matchups set for weekend

With the Hockey East playoff picture set, here’s a look at each of the first-round series this weekend:

(1) Boston College vs. (8) University of Massachusetts
The Eagles are 10-1-1 in their last 12. The Minutemen are 0-9-3. BC ranks first in offense (3.85 goals per game), defense (2.24 goals-against average) and special teams (+24 net). UMass ranks seventh (2.58), ninth (3.45) and ninth (-16) in those same categories. All that said, the Minutemen were at least competitive against the Eagles two weekends ago, as BC squeaked out a pair of one-goal wins. In fact, UMass’ last eight games have all been decided by a goal or less.
Prediction: BC in two

(2) University of New Hampshire vs. (7) University of Vermont
This is also a rematch from a season ago. And much like last year, neither team is playing all that great right now. The Wildcats stumbled to a 2-4-2 finish that dropped them out of first, while the Catamounts went 2-3-3 over their final eight. UNH took three of four points from Vermont when they met three weekends ago, though. And the Wildcats hold a decisive advantage in offense (3.50 GPG to 2.29), defense (2.56 GAA to 3.21) and special teams (+4 net to -14).
Prediction: UNH in three

(3) Boston University vs. (6) Northeastern University
It might not seem like it because of the two Beanpot losses in the middle, but the Terriers were one of the hottest teams in the stretch run of Hockey East play. They went 8-1-2 in their final 11 league games. Their only loss came against none other than Northeastern in Saturday’s regular-season finale. The Huskies started the semester 6-2-3 in conference play, but went 1-2-1 over the final two weekends. Regardless, these are two evenly matched teams. BU holds a slight edge in offense (2.92 GPG to 2.74) and special teams (+3 net to -1) and Northeastern has a narrow lead in defense (2.59 GAA to 2.81). All three meetings this season have been decided by a single goal.
Prediction: BU in three

(4) Merrimack College vs. (5) University of Maine
This is definitely the hardest series to predict, not just because it’s the 4-5 matchup, but also because these two teams are hard to get an accurate read on right now. The Warriors started this semester 10-1-0 in league play, but then they got outscored 11-1 in two losses at Maine and split the final weekend of the season against lowly Providence College. The Black Bears, on the other hand, started the semester just 2-5-2 before righting the ship and finishing with a seven-game unbeaten streak. The polar opposite of BU-Northeastern, all three meetings between these two were decided by four goals or more.
Prediction: Maine in two

1. I like 3 out of your 4 predictions. it is just a hunch, but I see the Northeastern University Huskies shocking BU in three at Agganis Arena. The sheriff [ Coach Cronin [ is back!