Police chief warns of increased robberies on BU campus

Last month, four attempted thefts were reported on the Boston University campus. In response, Chief of the BU Police Department Thomas Robbins sent members of the community an email warning students to protect their belongings on Tuesday.

While BU is located in a safe part of Boston, Robbins said, urban life always involves some amount of criminal activity.

Robbins said the four robberies had been reported to BUPD since March 8.

While victims did not sustain injuries, three of the robberies are suspected to be by the same two individuals. The robbers demanded cell phones, wallets or money from the victims.

According to BUPD crime logs from March 28 to April 4, two similar unarmed robberies occurred near or on campus.

In both cases, two males approached the victims and asked for the time and then proceeded to demand their belongings.

The first robbery occurred on March 30 at 2 p.m. at 615 Beacon St. and the second on April 1 at 8 p.m. at 575 Commonwealth Ave.

In his email, Robbins reminded BU students that the chances of being robbed on campus remain low.

However, individuals must take care to ensure their safety. To prevent being a victim of a crime, Robbins said to travel around campus with friends, especially at night.

If unable to walk with a friend, Robbins recommended calling BU’s Escort Security Service, which is open 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Any faculty, staff, student or BU guest can call the service, which will dispatch two walkers equipped with a radio, flashlight and umbrellas if needed, according to the Escort Security Service website.

Robbins also recommended that individuals keep valuables out of sight and report suspicious activity to BUPD. The BUPD and Escort Security Service phone numbers are both located on the back of BU Terrier Cards.

“Together we share the responsibility for maintaining a safe environment,” Robbins said in his email. “Each one of us can improve our community’s welfare by reporting crime and unsafe conditions and by helping others.”